Fennemanism

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:48 pm
Yes, Fennemanism is a real problem, to us old duffers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 801 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
hahaha
dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 07:31 pm
@Ragman,
not a TV program or clip. it's a promotional clip Used to sell airtime to companies.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:17 am
@dadpad,
yeah, after watching a few, i figured that out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:22 am
As a victim of fennemanism, I often think back to a day when George Fenneman would announce to the audiences: "And now, the one, the only, Groucho."
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Judging from the clip, his timing was fair, but he had zero material.

I used to watch these (You Bet Your Life) shows like he was giving stuff a way. In fact, I think I learned about comedy through him/Marx Brothers (oh...and Johnny Carson).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:56 am
I liked Groucho the person much more than the comedian, on You Bet Your Life. To me, he was funnier in the movies.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes, agreed. The funny lines and the setups in the movie were more natual and an organic part of the comedy than in TV shows. However, some of the lines in his show were classic:

Groucho was the subject of an urban legend, about a supposed response to a contestant who had nine children which supposedly brought down the house.

In response to Marx asking in disbelief why she had so many children, the contestant replied, "I love my husband."

To this, Marx responded, "I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

Groucho often asserted in interviews that this exchange never took place, but it remains one of the most often quoted "Groucho-isms" nonetheless.
Until 5 mins ago, I really thought this was his real-life quote.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:45 am
@Ragman,
I liked the episode in which Pedro Gozalez Gonzalez appeared. Pedro was picked up by a film studio after that.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:53 am
@edgarblythe,
According to Wiki:

"In 1953, he appeared on the Groucho Marx quiz show You Bet Your Life under the name Ramiro G. Gonzalez where his banter with Marx attracted notice. Marx asked him: "What does the 'G' stand for?" to which he replied "Gonzalez". "What does your wife call you; Gonzalez, Gonzalez or Gonzalez? He replied "She calls me 'Pedro'". "If we got together as an act, what would it be called?" After Gonzalez-Gonzalez replied "Gonzalez-Gonzalez and Marx," Marx made an aside: "Do you believe that? Two men in the act, and I get third billing!"
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:59 am
@Ragman,
I was pretty young when that aired.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, as you might guess my age when it first aired, I was in bed in my Dr. Denton's.

However in the '60s with TV syndication, they repeated often. I even recall seeing Frank Zappa as a polite clean-cut young man in his early '20s on his show.

{edit...oops that is Steve Allen's show:}
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
I had a pretty good collection of Mothers of Invention. Those albums and I got separated somewhere along the way. Frank was complex, and sometimes I got him and sometimes not.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I still have Freak Out (and 1978 copy of Sheik Yerbouti), I'll soon seek out a few more of his classics. My TT works quite well. Like so many in the avante-garde, he was an enigma. A very serious man in a lot of ways, he was a student of many musical genres. Reading his biography (Wiki) provides some fascinating background.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
That one went over my head.

Signed,
Sincerely confused. Neutral
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
An earlier ESL question yesterday asked what Feminism was. This was an extension of that and a play on words.
http://able2know.org/topic/169454-1
0 Replies