How does temperature changes affect living cretures?

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:42 am
Hi! When I was in the millitary we spend months outside without ever coming indoors. Evrey once in a while, well just a few times realy. We had an ocasion were there was a fire lit in the cold. The more experienced Sargents said "Ok you guys I know its cold. But the closer you get to that fire when you come back out you are gona fell colder. So the secret is that you feel temperature changes not as much the heat or cold." That kind of got me thinking, well water and most substances contract or expand with temperature changes. So has anyone done a study on how does it effect living things to be in 'Temperature changing enviroments' Vs 'Controled indor temperature enviroments'? If you know of a visual tutorial can you please send me the link? Thank you ! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,906 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:49 am
Now do temperature changes affect living creatures? Your verb has to agree in number with the subject.

Temperature changes have a notably more significant affect on living creatures than they do on dead creatures.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
Victor of Aveyron was a feral child first seen in 1797, who evaded capture, but eventually came in on his own in 1800. He was institutionalized, and a medical student named Itard decided to take Victor into his home to study him more closely and to attempt to teach him to speak and read. One of the things he noted was his seeming indifference to climactic conditions. He would be dressed and put in a bed with sheets and blankets, but when Itard returned in the morning, he would find the boy lying on the floor, naked. He seemed to be indifferent to the temperature.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Hmm ok. My maybe im not making sense again. Let me rephrase some. Contracting and and expanding Of the substances in living creatures. By the use of temperatures. In a lab sitiuation, over 100 life cycles. Would there be a diference between the controled and and the study subjects? Does that makes sense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 10:58 am
No . . . but i never let that discourage me when reading your posts . . .
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 10:58 pm
@Setanta,
Yes I am sorry. I have a hard time trying to express whats on my mind. Well let me mingle over it in my mind for a bit then ill try to make it a bit clearer ok.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:58 pm
@Setanta,
Hmm ok. How about this. Most people seem to be thinking in individual basis. I am asking the question not in a personal format. As humans being a spicies. I know it may be hard for some to do because of emotional atachments. So they may give an example like "well no being sick is bad beacuse I dont like to see people suffer". But in reality that persons imune system is getting stronger. So when I ask a question I am usaly looking from a larger perspective. Looking at Human Race as a species. Would that make more sense to you?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:54 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
So the question although it may seem sorth of silly at the time. Like is walking in the sun good for you? Until someone asked that question. The answer most people would say is " Sure if you want a sun tan" But because someone asked the question we found out the the human body produces vitamin C. So I was just wondering if anyone knows about a study related to temperatures thats all.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 09:15 am
Since the body tries to maintain a stable core temperature, the expansion and contraction of water wouldn't play a significant role in temperature affects to living creatures--up to a certain point. In temperatures at freezing and below the body attempts to maintain core body temperature at the expense of the temperature of its extremities by constricting its blood vessels. This process can reach a point to where heat is lost in those extremities and the freezing of their tissues actually occurs. The crystallization of the water within the body's cells would cause them to burst.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 10:45 am
@InfraBlue,
Ok that makes sense. But in doing that the body is getting a 'workout' of certain parts. Like a used imune system is a better imune system. Would the same apply to our inner temormether?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well, maybe not too used. The body's processes tend to start breaking down in old age. Before the effects of old age, I would think that a better immune system is one that is healthy and in working order.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well assuming we evolved to the point that we need internal regulation. Well again im talking about not one life cycle but many. If you had a mamal in the same temperature over say 100 life cycles. Like a cave inhabitant that loses sight, Wouldnt the the internal themormeter be affected the same way?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:02 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Yes I see yall are having the same trouble as me finding something about the subject. Well to me it just seems logical that looking at the history of how dna works that if a adptation favors the enviroment it survives. And one thats no longer needed say like eyesight, limbs, ect ect. Gets turn off in the Genome. So it seems logical that a mamal thats put into a controled temperature over enough generations that something would change. Doesnt that make sense to you?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:08 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Quote:
How does temperature changes affect living cretures?

Makes them hotter or colder...
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:51 pm
@gungasnake,
Hehe or kills them Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:04 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I can find loads of stuff on living things dying because of temperature changes. But still nothing on the study of the effects of experiments on mamals short term or long on how it effects the dna. I mean im not trying to ask a silly question I realy am interested in the subject here yall! Little stories about someone that dint mind the cold is not helping lol. If anyone knows of a video turial about the subject can you please post it. Thank you. Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:04 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Alot of the questions I ask are simple comon sense questions that you dont need a degree in coledge to see. Like were would we be if we dint take the paths we did in the past 200 years? Has anyone would looked at the natural bio evolution? Are the methods that we are using compatible to it? Something that may seem conforting at the time may have long term harmfull effects. So thats why I am going to this site were I know theres alot of well educated people to ask these questions. Thank you for your time .
0 Replies