How do you make zinc sulfur rocket fuel?

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:54 pm
My question is more "am i doing it right?" than "how do you make it?"

So far I've got the magnesium, hydrochloric acid, but the zinc and sulfur powder are on their way to my house. I'm going to use a zinc bullion because that's the only thing I could find that's pure zinc and it wasn't to expensive. Anyways what i plan on doing is using the hydrochloric acid to make zinc chloride and using the magnesium as a catalysis (i think it's a catalysis at least) with the zinc chloride solution to turn it back into zinc but in powder form. After i get the zinc i will mix it with sulfur powder which by doing so will get me the final product. And i do plan on being completely and redundantly safe with everything i use.

this is where i got my information on turning zinc into zinc powder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-46-7ZR9E

Christian S.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,934 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:34 pm
@NarrowEyes,
what age are you? You dont have to reduce tomAn powder is youre an ault. You can go to a science supply hoiuse and buy thepoqder all finely milled .
0 Replies

Baldrocket

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:36 pm
@NarrowEyes,
If you have the chemistry chops to do all that work for zinc powder then count me as impresed! However, Zinc dust is not that hard to find. Check out scienceforyou.net I got a pound of zinc powder 325 mesh for ~$10.
My question is what to use to make the zinc/sulfur mix into a "putty" to pack into the casing? Someone recomended acetone. Would isopropyl alcohole work as well?
An inhibitor was also recommended. Baking soda?
Could I use ethelyne glycol (anti-freeze) as binder/inhibitor?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you make zinc sulfur rocket fuel?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:35:12