Bear cubs leaving the den

manono

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 08:40 am
How is it possible that bear cubs are not blinded by the daylight and/or the reflection of the sun on the snow when they leave the den in april-may?
Are they not even half blind? Don't they even need a couple of hours to get used to the daylight

Thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,461 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 08:52 am
@manono,
I think the den isn't completely cut off from the light, and that leaving is a gradual process. They edge up to the den opening and look around a bit before actually emerging.

Here are a couple of pictures I found when I Googled "bear den" for example -- they seem to be exposed to a fair amount of light.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/images/publ/factsheets/bear/BearDen.jpg

http://www.bear.org/website/images/stories/images/images-new/yearling_in_den.jpg
Ceili

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 09:10 am
A den is usually only a small depression under a fallen tree/s or tree roots and normally protected with a layering of snow, there are only so many caves to go around. Baby bears are blind when first born and gradually get their sight. Cubs are born in the spring when Mama is no longer hibernating.
manono

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:52 am
@sozobe,
Thank you very much, Sozobe, 'gradual process' is what I overlooked.

I had the impression the den was very much dark because of the snow.

Beautiful pictures!

Thanks a lot!

I will delete 'halfblind' in my manuscript.
sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:53 am
@manono,
Happy to help!

Good luck with the manuscript.
0 Replies

manono

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:58 am
@Ceili,
Thank you, Ceili

I had the impression the den was a deep hole in the flank of a hill or a mountain.

I thought that the cubs are born during hibernation period. That the female bear doesn't leave the den untill the cubs are able to leave the den (april/may. Then they are at least two months old.

Perhaps there is a variety in time schedules. My data are coming from Yellowstone Park.
sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:03 pm
@manono,
When I was looking up the pictures I found out that there are really a wide variety of locations for dens.

Varieties of trees/ roots seem to be common.

I think you're right about the babies being born during hibernation, though. They're blind at first but just like many babies are blind (kittens, puppies) and then are able to see by the time they emerge from hibernation.

One thing I remember seeing is that it's not true hibernation -- they sleep but they're not in the coma-type hibernation state. If they haven't had enough to eat in the fall, they'll emerge in the winter to look around for more food.
sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:08 pm
@sozobe,
Here's where I got one of the pictures:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/publ/wlnotebook/bear.htm

Excerpt:

Quote:
Black bears are most active between April and November. By late November bears ready themselves for the long winter ahead. They spend the entire winter in a small den. Most commonly, bears dig out dens under the roots of an overturned tree or in a hillside, but sometimes they may select a sheltered rock cave, a hollow tree, hollow stump or a nook in a dense thicket, brushpile or conifer stand. Near urban areas, they may make their den in road culverts or foundations of abandoned buildings. The dens are usually just big enough to accommodate the bear itself, or a sow and her cubs. Typically, the dens are only about 4 feet wide and lined with leaves, moss and bark. Sometimes, part of the bear is exposed to the outside and becomes covered with snow.

Once snug in their dens, bears fall into torpor, or a deep sleep, and live off the body fat they, hopefully, accumulated during their autumn eating binge. This deep winter sleep, is not a state of true hibernation, because their body temperature, heartbeat, respiration and metabolism do not drop to the near-death state that occurs in true hibernating mammals, such as chipmunks, ground squirrels or woodchucks. Dormant bears can be easily awakened from their winter sleep. At times, bears walk around in winter. This may be due to a warm spell, or because they are under stress because they did not have an adequate supply of fat before they entered their winter dens.

Once bears emerge from their dens in mid-March, they wander considerable distances in search of food. Boars range the farthest. They make their home in a 15 to 27-square mile area. Sows generally restrict their home boundaries to a 5-square mile radius. They may not eat much for the first few days out of the den since they are just waking up. When they first emerge, their coats look healthy and shiny, but soon they begin to shed their winter coat and then their fur looks dull, worn and patchy.

If a sow gives birth during January or early February, her cubs will crawl out of the den with her when she awakens from her long winter's nap. She communicates with her cubs by voice signals including loud "woof-woof" and whimpering sounds.

Bears mate in June and early July when the sows become reproductively responsive for a few days.

[...]

During the 225-day (7 1/2 months) gestation period, the fertilized egg floats free in the uterus of the sow for the first 5 to 6 months. Then, in late November or early December, the egg implants itself into the uterine wall and begins to grow. This phenomenon is called delayed implantation. The eggs grow in the female until January or early February when the cubs are born. Their mother is still in her winter sleep when they are born. Sometimes the mother gives birth to a single cub or triplets, but the norm is two cubs.

At birth, cubs are tiny: only 6 to 8 inches long, weighing only 7 to 12 ounces! Their eyes are closed and their fur is sparse. They grow slowly for the first few days but then develop more rapidly. They open their eyes in about 25 to 30 days. The cubs eventually leave their den in late March with the female.

Emphases mine.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bear cubs leaving the den
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 10:55:45