Blame the Victim

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 09:03 am
Can you help me with this?
Why do I get the impression that politicians put the responsiblity for our economic mess on the shoulders of its own cititzens?

We are told that "we" have to buckle down, "we" have to think smarter, "we" have to do things differently.

When a guy can't get a business loan, why should he have to go to the government to get financing? And why is the government even in that role?

Those in our government have mismanaged huges sums of money and when they screw up, they turn around and tell "us" that we have to change, then create another bureaucracy to deal with it.

What other business could operate like our government does and get away with it?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 633 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 08:27 am
So in a speech in Upper Michigan yesterday, BO tells us that we need to cut back on going out to eat and going on vacation.

I have to cut back.
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 08:33 am
@PUNKEY,
that seems ridiculous, if you can afford to go out and eat and go on vacation (especially inside the US) why wouldn't you, it helps the economy

as for it being the publics fault, i have to kind of agree with that to a certain extent, sure government regulations (or lack there of) made it easy to get home loans, or credit, it's still an individuals choice to over extend that credit
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 09:54 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Why do I get the impression that politicians put the responsiblity for our economic mess on the shoulders of its own cititzens?

We are told that "we" have to buckle down, "we" have to think smarter, "we" have to do things differently.

In regard to the national debt, the government went on a spending binge to fund its wars and at the same time cut taxes. That's largely how it sold the people onto its wars. And the people being how they are, shortsighted and fickle, ignored the fact that these wars would have to be paid for eventually.

How much milage would these wars have gotten had the government said "We're gonna wage multi-trillion dollar wars and we're gonna raise taxes to pay for the escapade!"?

If now the people have to buckle down and think smarter and do things differently, it's only because the people didn't do so when they were agitated by the government into frothing at the mouth for war.
0 Replies