Why are all victims of Endosulfan reported only in Kerala?

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 04:33 am
Every story I hear about Endosulfan is related to Kerala only. Just because it has caused some problem in one state the whole country plans to ban it. Why are there no reports of victims coming from any other part of the country?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 971 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:04 am
@tishakothari,
Just doing a quick search on this stuff, it's pretty nasty. Going out on a limb here, but I think there must be more than a few problems... It's banned in 63 countries and is on the list in a few more. About the only place they still use is Brazil and India, so I'd say it's a good thing the local Kerala government is doing something about it. Mind you, this stuff looks like it will receive an international ban very soon. So, Kerala's only jumping the gun.
sridharpillay

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:04 am
@Ceili,
The victims in Kerala have been reported of various malfunctions caused due to the Aerial spraying in the cashew plantations almost a decade ago. However, WHO has clearly specified that Endosulfan does not bio accumulate in humans & animals. So do not get from where do these victims arise. While the rest of the country continues to use the pesticide with no such problems till date.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:15 am
I would think that when the whole world bans a substance you would understand that the product has problems, not just in one little corner of India.
sridharpillay

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:34 am
@Ceili,
Out of the whole world, Countries with an agrarian economy are still using this pesticide and are unwilling to ban it. Moreover, the ill effects of this pesticide are still debated upon.
Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:42 am
@sridharpillay,
From what I read only Brazil and India are still using this product. There are many agrarian economies in the 'whole world', not all of them use this product. If the 'whole world' is thinking of banning it, I think the ease you brush aside the science says more than you probably are willing to admit.
sridharpillay

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:54 am
@Ceili,
Dear Ceili,I would want to know your definition of 'Whole World'.
I suppose you are either not well- informed or mis guided about this. I would suggest you to visit here and get the real story:
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:55 am
@sridharpillay,
I have been to India. The vast majority of your workers are horribly treated, paid shite and employer after employer cared more about profits than human life, in fact, while i was in India, I saw many human rights abuses, adding another one like poisioning workers doesn't surprise me. People starve without most people giving a ****. People spend their entire life without a roof over their head, parents purposly maim their children so they can beg for sustenance, police are corrupt, the army and politicians are corrupt... I could go on forever, so if you want to have this debate, go for it, but I don't think India can do anything but catch up with the rest of the world, you know, places that actually care about their citizens and don't condemn people as less than human based on some silly characterization like castes of untouchables.
Next.

If you want to poison your people, fine, just don't ask me to support it.
sridharpillay

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:50 am
@Ceili,
A few visits and stories is not enough to comment on a country's caliber. And as far as it is concerned with the workers, it not the country but the companies who define the work culture. Moreover, in this case the workers have been working happily for decades. They have voluntarily come down on roads to give their blood samples in order to show they had no effects even after working closely with the molecule for ages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGdLlpfMPk

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why are all victims of Endosulfan reported only in Kerala?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:13:18