Should or do you treat a person differently once you found out they have schizophrenia?

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:02 am
sorry to ask such an intrusive question but ever since i have been diagnosed with the disease the past history of it been bothering me Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 690 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:09 am
No. However, loved ones of schizophrenics must provide the resources for the individual with the disease to get the proper medical treatment and advise. Medications help the schizophrenic live a more normal life.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Hehe im sorry this topic is heartless and inappropiate to be discused. Its just unless you see someone in a corner talking to a telephone pole or you see a news clip saying something about " and she was dignosed with ........... " Its sad but those are the only times your hear about it. So i guess more out of frustration than anything i trew that topic out there. If you want to you could leave a message..... I dont know just say hi Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:29 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Regarding your question. I would not consider it a reason to ostracize a person diagnosed with schizophrenia or any other mental disorder.

As far as I understand, many persons afflicted with schizophrenia lead relatively stable lives especially if they are well versed in the importance of their medications and understand what signs of weakness to look out for. Like any human being, a person with a built in support group of friends and family will likely succeed and recover more quickly when bad things happen to him or her.

That said, I haven't had the opportunity to know an individual who has been diagnosed with the disease.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:32 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Hehe im sorry this topic is heartless and inappropiate to be discused.

Heartles and inappropriate? I would say it's the opposite. If more people know an individual who is living and coping with the disease then many of the wild and out of the blue stereotypes they hold against those with the disorder could perhaps lose said prejudices.

Reasonable and rational discussion of this topic is actually a good thing.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:36 am
@tsarstepan,
some stats just for information 1.1 percent of the U.S. have this disease thats one in a 100..... Question is how many are heard? When is the last time you heard of a march for schizsophrania? LOL its hilarios why dont we just cut a chunck of their brains off.........Omg im sorry because they never presented a voice that was reality less than 100 years ago Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:37 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
sorry frustation again Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:38 am
@tsarstepan,
I second what tsar has said; discussing this subject is long overdue, because many people do not understand the disease. It strikes many family and friends, and not many know how to seek help for this disease. There are support groups in most communities, and those with family members or friends with schizophrenia should seem them out. They will be a very good support group with good ideas and advocacy.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Tank you so much for that coment that realy means alot to me Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:52 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

sorry to ask such an intrusive question but ever since i have been diagnosed with the disease the past history of it been bothering me Smile

There's no need to apologize. There are always obnoxious posters on internet sites but I doubt anyone on A2K would make fun of an ill person. Feel free to post details of symptoms, medications, anything you like; btw, you write clearly and well - I for one would like to read more from you Smile
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:01 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
PJ, don't be apologising sir, you have nothing to apologise for.
Feel free to ask all the questions you want and I'm sure if anybody
has any useful or helpful suggestions, they will gladly share them
with you.
As for myself I have no experience with the condition, so I'm sorry
I can't be of any help to you.
But I wish you all the best in dealing with it and hope you find some
help and support along the way and certainly do not hesitate in
asking for it.
Most people are more than willing to help.
Good Luck, PJ.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:03 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Tank you Smile
0 Replies

AngelSilva

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:54 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
hmmmmmmmmm, hello mr pete how r u? xD
AngelSilva

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:54 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
hello mr. pete how r u? xD
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:55 pm
@AngelSilva,
Hiyas Angel Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should or do you treat a person differently once you found out they have schizophrenia?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:54:26