Mountain Climbing in Manhattan

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:09 am
I had to run a few errands. We had a little snow here on Sunday. Thought I was gonna die (or at least fall) a few times. Young men came to my assistance and helped me over some tough spots.

The question arose: Did they used to clean the streets better at the corners, or didn't I notice the mountains because I was young and spry?

How you guys in the East getting around?

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/2010/0209/0209-snowmess-east-coast-snow-storm-02-600/7371186-1-eng-US/0209-snowmess-East-Coast-snow-storm-02-600_full_600.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 538 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:15 am
@Roberta,
took my mother to a store recently and the parking lot and the walkways were all nicely cleaned, but between the parking spots and the walkway was a ridge of snow/ice about two feet wide and a foot high, not a big deal for me, but not great for and older person, i mentioned it to the owner and the next time we went they had cleared the space between the cement abutments that divide the parking lot from the walkway
djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:19 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Young men came to my assistance and helped me over some tough spots.

so it wasn't all bad Wink
Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:20 am
@djjd62,
You're a good kid, dj. But I knew that. How about coming here and talking to the people in charge of the corners. Problem is, there aren't any (that I know of).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:21 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Roberta wrote:
Young men came to my assistance and helped me over some tough spots.

so it wasn't all bad Wink

True enough. And one was a real cutie. Sigh. (Old but not dead.)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:24 am
@Roberta,

i think it's about the same in terms of quality of snow clearing.
the obvious issue when it snows like this is... where to put it?

most people in our neighborhood shovel their sidewalk snow back into the street.
i shovel it onto the front lawn, knowing the salt and grit are bad for the grass.

the first winter in the house ('95-'96) was by far the snowiest.
by february the front lawn had 7' high snow piles.
thankfully, we haven't come close to equalling that...
Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:46 am
@Region Philbis,
Shoveling it back into the street makes sense in NYC. The problem is that no one is responsible for the corners. They are a mess and hard to negoiate. The paths at the corners are usually made by people walking. Not exactly the best approach.

When I walked like a regular person, it wasn't much of a problem. Now I hobble with a cane. Not easy.

HOBBLERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mountain Climbing in Manhattan
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:59:17