Gated Iron Door Closure

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 01:23 pm
We have historic door which is very heavy gated design. The lockset is either bolted or unbolted which presents a problem in keeping the door unlocked, but closed! There is no handle on the outside, only the keyed lackset (its old rimbox that was modified rather shabbily at that, so we fear that someone will break this as it opens by turning the handle down rotating counterclockwise. Any suggestions on a device to install that will allow door to close securely but also open from outside. The frame is very heavy steel. Door pivots on set of 6 heavy hinges.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 937 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 02:31 pm
@cincyjem,
I've seen cabinet hardware that holds the door or lid closed with small installable magnets. In fact, I use a pair of them on the screen door to keep the cats from opening it at their convenience. In a metal door, installation will probably involved drilling and threading holes instead of just driving the screws into wood. Like me, you will probably need a pair of them.

Nothing else comes to mind, but I'm sure there are other ways.
Fido

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:49 pm
@cincyjem,
It is likely to be cast iron, which makes it rather more difficult to work with than steel... King ornamental likes to send me their catalogues from time to time.. They are located in Texas, and I am certain they have a website, or should... If you can't find them maybe I can help... Seems like they had gate locks and hardware, but I am out of the business except for personal stuff... Good luck..
0 Replies

cincyjem

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
@roger,
This door is really, really. really heavy metal(early 1900's estate size). Magnets would not be easy solution. A magnet strong enough to hold door in closed position would be then be most difficult to push open. Thanks for suggestion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gated Iron Door Closure
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 05:12:23