Copying files from a desktop to a laptop

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 02:33 pm
How would I copy/transfer files from a desktop to a laptop? I don't currently have a laptop but am considering getting one. My desktop is HP Pavilion a1550y, running OS Windows XP, and I would be using both.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,442 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 02:50 pm
@Tomkitten,
Easy: Get a thumb drive (cheap at any office supply place) and copy what you need.

More involved: Plug both machines into a network switch or router to create a local network, then transfer everything over the network. You might want to do this anyway so you can share printers and a broadband connection.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 03:27 pm
When I purchsed a new computer recently, I used a Belkin Transfer Cable (see link below) to transfer all my files from Windows XP to Windows 7. It was a very simple process and worked very well.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=506029
mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 04:05 pm
@mckenzie,
I should have said copy/transfer because all of the files remain on my old computer as well.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 06:26 am
@Tomkitten,
I would suggest a large external drive that no only would allow you to move files but to me far more important would allow you to keep both computers completely back up.
0 Replies