Bring a "Hot Dish," or even a cold dish

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:22 am
In Garrison Keillor's mythical Lake Wobegone, the good Lutheran women bring "hot dishes" to community suppers.

The holiday season is upon us and that often means pot luck suppers. I have had many experiences with pot lucks, beginning with pot luck suppers at the Quaker Meeting House in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1968, where all of the offering were divided into two groups: small meatloafs in disposable aluminum pans or jello through a short but lovely series of pot lucks by women who were, like me, non-traditional graduate students in the 1990s.

I thought a thread sharing some of the best pot luck recipes . . . and some potluck stories . . . would be a nice addition to a2k.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 479 • Replies: 1
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:32 am
This recipe was a hit following the end-of-the-reading-year pot luck my long time group held every June, where we met for fellowship and to vote on our reading selections for the following year.

It is called Demeter's Ricotta Cake. One of our members, who teaches Classics at Tufts, brought this cake and she got the recipe from one of her Latin I students.

DEMETER'S RICOTTA CAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 package yellow cake mix or one recipe for a 2-layer 9" yellow cake
Prepare batter as you usually would.

Butter a 9 x 13 pan and pour in batter.

Mix the following ingredients together:

2 lbs. Ricotta cheese
8 eggs
3 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 C. sugar

Pour ricotta mixture into the center of the cake batter. Do not stir or mix with batter. The pan will pretty much be filled. The originator of recipe suggests removing a cup or so of batter to prevent overflow.*

Bake in the preheated over for 40-45 minutes.

Mix 1/4 C sugar with 2 Tbl. cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the cake. Return to oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.

* I have simply opted to cut back a little on the amount of ricotta and eggs. I am not certain how much I cut back, as I haven't made this cake in several years, but 1 and 1/2 pounds of ricotta and 6 eggs sounds good to me.

I have also made this in a bundt pan.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bring a "Hot Dish," or even a cold dish
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:08:05