Gift Traditions

quinn1

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:26 pm
Are there traditions with certain gifts or gift items that you have?

This weekend I bought the goddaughter the cute little purse she said she wanted. When I went to wrap it, I stopped and put a dollar in it.
This is something that my family has always done although I got a quarter or half dollar when I was a kid, its just something you always do when giving a purse or wallet.
I was struck that it had never been heard of before by the man and just wondering now if it is simply a family tradition?
Anyone heard of this, or do this in the past?

Is there something that you can think of that is the same type of thing that you do automatically with certain gifts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,335 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:22 pm
I've heard of that, but it may have been from you that I heard it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:58 pm
Quinn--

This is an Irish ritual. While you meant well with the dollar (a bill, I presume) 'tis a little bit of silver--a quarter, even a dime--that brings great good luck and prosperity to the new owner of the purse.

The Little People understand the powers of a bit of silver--and they respect the owner.

I've know women who took the bit of gift silver and wrapped in in clear tape so that the lucky bit would never be spent by mistake.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
We've always done that, too. Something IN it.

Same with decorative/ gift/ jewelry boxes. Last year I gave my dad's wife a little round box with the Chinese character for long life and prosperity on it, with a matching necklace inside. (Made 'em both.)

We (my family) tend to give ornaments as attachments to presents. Like, wrap, put a bow on it, attach ornament to the bow. The ornament will often have something to do with what is inside, like a teddy bear ornament on a teddy bear gift. Don't know how unusual that is.

Oh, that's interesting, Noddy (just saw.) Didn't know there was actually tradition behind it, but makes sense.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
P.S.--

When you give a bladed gift--a knive, scissors, even edged tools--the recipient should give you a bit of silver. Other wise the knife may cut the friendship.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
Yep... I think it is a Gaelic tradition, not just Irish, because we're Scottish and that's what I do, learned from my mom... even to taping that lucky silver piece so it won't get spent. (Obviously that's an ancient tradition, teehee. Wink) You don't ever want to give someone an empty wallet or purse! Very Happy

Our family also has a tradition about Christmas stockings... they have to have some food in them: oranges, nuts, candy bar, little bottle of alcohol, etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:08 pm
Right, about Christmas stockings. We often have pomegranates. (This is very cool, I first read this and was like, nothing I can think of, then started thinking about it, I love nothing better than to ferret out the ancient meanings of apparently meaningless actions.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
Stockings for christmas in angel-saxion countries - boots at the St. Niclas in Germany, there certainly is the same 'root'. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:16 pm
Btw: my father introduced years ago a nice (espeially for us children) "gift ceremony", namely to present the gift the evening before the actual reason. He justified that with the that christmas presents are presented on Christmas Eve, the day before actual Christmas as well.

Thus, we got our birthday (and Saintday's) presents the evening before.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
Noddy, that bit about paying for any gift which has a cutting edge is not exclusively Gaelic. My mother would never accept a gift that included scissors or a knife blade or anything similar without insisting that the giver take a coin for it. It didn't have to be silver in her system of belief. A copper penny would do, as long as the 'gift' was not a gift but a purchase.

Oh, my mother was Latvian, btw. But I think the Baltic peoples have a lot in common with the Celts.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:58 pm
And you simply are not allowed to give an empty wallet or purse.

Now... insofar as traditions are concerned.

there is a fork, the last survivor of the silverware we grew up with, that makes the rounds between me and my sibs.

My mother and I exchange those plastic tags that go on loaves of bread to hold the bag closed. See my post about my mother-in-law and Twinkies...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
The money in the purse is also seen in German tradition. Some thing with giving money with a gift of any cutting instrument. The cutting instrument must be paid for to prevent the cutting of the friendship - so we usually give a penny with the object to be given back to the giver.

I've been doing 'theme' gifts with some friends for years. One year I chose 'texture' as my theme. It was fun watching people try to figure out what the theme was.

Brenda and I exchanged gifts yesterday. My gifts to her were sparkly things that aren't usually sparkly. The gift tag was part of the gift (and in the spirit of re-gifting, I didn't write on the tag), it was an write-on-able ornament.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:05 pm
I always include the batteries.

I wrap all my gifts in brown paper and make bows out of pine cones, cinnamon and I douse them in wax to use as fire starters after the gift is opened.

Love the history on the wallets and knives.

I always place a candle in the window. This I believe is an irish tradition. You're supposed to place a lit candle in the window to welcome strangers and friends with no other place to go at Christmas. Maybe someone could eleborate further.
I'd be interested to know if this tradition crosses borders as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
ceili - I don't know all the cultures that practice the candle in the window, but it seems nearly universal. When I recently Setanta, we drove through a very traditional Amish area. There were several homes with single candles in several of the windows. I wondered if it was one of their traditions.

I know it is a practice in a lot of countries with sea-faring traditions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:24 pm
http://www.americanfamilytraditions.com/House_Candle_Light_Trimmed_WEB_small.jpg

Quote:
A Window Candle has been a traditional practice in many cultures. It has a variety of meanings in The United States. The practice starts with the fundamental use of fire by mankind. Throughout the history of man a campfire has represented warmth and security. It is the source of heat to cook food and warm the body and the spirit. It is the barrier between the safe and the unsafe in an untamed and unfriendly wilderness. Over the course of history, as we have moved our campfires into our homes, there, the hearth has represented these very same things. The family hearth has been the center of activity because of its warmth and practical use for food preparation. We love to watch the dancing flames as the fire's warmth flows into the deepest and coldest parts of our bodies. Sitting in front of the hearth on a cold wintry day gives us a feeling of warmth and security. It makes us feel like all is right with the world. In most cultures a Candle in the Window was used to signal a Family's loyalty to a loved one who was away traveling. It let that person know the family awaited their return and the hearth was warm and waiting for them1. In Ireland during times of religious persecution, the Window Candle signaled the location of religious services2.

found here ...

It was interesting to see that the Irish reference is to religious service. That was a new one to me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:29 pm
Quote:
A Candle in the Window
What does it mean?

Many have asked me what the title of my site "A Candle in the Window" means. To me, it is simply an expression of welcome. I base my "meaning" upon childhood memories, when the tradition of placing lit candles in the windows at Christmas time was explained to me. A lit candle in the window meant that the inhabitants of the dwelling extend warm greetings and are willing to offer their homes to weary travelers. Come in! Let us give you shelter!

Many nationalities, states, countries and religions take responsibility for the custom and tradition. Here are a few of the explanations:

The most widely accepted explanation is the history of The Christmas Candle:

The Christmas tradition of placing candles in your windows dates back to the very beginning of Christianity. A large candle was lit on Christmas Eve, symbolizing Christ, the light of the world. It was left to burn the whole night to mark the nativity-lighting the way for Mary and Joseph. This ancient custom still persists in several European countries such as France, England, Ireland and Denmark.

The first of the 13 original colonies, Virginia, takes credit for adopting the tradition in the USA, with its own twist:

A candle in the window is an old Virginia tradition, a gesture of welcome and a promise of warm hospitality to guests. The tradition of placing a candle in the window goes back to colonial times in the United States and much further in other countries. It symbolizes the warmth and security of the family hearth and signals loyalty to family members and loved ones who are not present in the home.

The Tale of Newport Candles is an interesting story:

Some communities are returning to the early custom of putting a small light in each window of the home to celebrate the holiday season and share the candle's warmth and glow with the passing world. Some say it originated in Newport RI and is a tradition that is worth spreading along the Revolutionary Road. The light event was repeated the week of March 6, 1781 when Washington reviewed the French troops in Newport. Then they also had a precession with candles. But the story goes back further to the arrival of the French fleet.

The town of Newport was at first stunned by the size of the French fleet and some were afraid they were about to be invaded. The story goes that revolutionary Committee of Safety knew otherwise and offered free candles so that every house would have a candle in every window that night to welcome the French. Rich and poor gathered up the free candles. When everyone had been served, it was announced that the candles were no longer free but that the display of lights had become mandatory. Those who had wanted to boycott this warm display of gratitude to our allies then had to buy their candles.

So there you have it! If anyone knows of other meanings associated with this tradition, I would be happy to hear them and post them here. I welcome you and I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay!
Kathy

Froggy writes:I have also heard about a different meaning for a candle in the window. I am not sure of it's origin or anything, but I have heard of people putting a candle in the window for a missing loved one.

Johnny Banzai wrote (11/26/02) to tell me that:

"I have also heard that the candle dates back to the Irish Catholic persecution by the British. They left a candle in the window to let a priest know that they needed services/sacraments - the candle let them know that it was safe to enter. Open service had been banned..."

http://acandleinthewindow.com/candle.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:31 pm
and more ...

http://www.amishnews.com/featurearticles/germanchristmas.htm
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:13 am
Wow! Thanks for all the info ehBeth.
I had no idea the candle practice was so wide spread. I had heard of the religious conection but I find the derivatives so interesting.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:30 am
So much interesting information. Now Ill have to remember to do the silver thing, and it makes sense now that I would get a whole half dollar and it was never spent, always kept in the purse. And now I have an idea of where in the family it comes from as well. Thanks!

Didnt know about the blades but, thinking on it I dont know if anyone has given a person in the family such an insrument while I was about so, that could be it.

About every other year I do ornaments on gifts for either the gift or the person...same idea as soz I suppose, dont know if thats traditional or not. I think its more likely old fashioned gift tags really Wink

Stockings are very important in my family for some reason. You have to have a stocking and it has to have food in it. Most likely it has candy but, still food and something fun. I still make stockings for the godkids, this year they're going into a bag but, still the stocking things inside.

We also have a tradition of picking one gift to open on Christmas Eve, at least of those out and about.

Love those great stories SealPoet, reminds me of my cousins family that does a yankee swap and there is one item that keeps making the rounds every year.

Hey you know, around here theres candles all over the place....I could really get to know alot of people if I take it seriously and start out early Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:59 am
Latkes and menorahs are popular at my family Christmas. Sadly, we stopped giving gifts, as the siblings were getting too competetive in their gift-giving.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gift Traditions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:49:19