• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,374 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm
@justycjay,
It's a seizure inducing tongue twister. Ask that question 3 times out loud and as fast as possible.

Oh... wait. You got the asking the question 3 times part already. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:47 pm
It is SO obvious.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:48 pm
What happened to people around here? How can these questions dangle in such a manner..... unanswered?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:14 pm
I think the real question is: what isn't epistemological pragmatism and linguistic pragmatism?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I just blow your mind?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 01:48 am
@justycjay,
As I understand it:

Epistemological pragmatism....the doctrine that "what we know" is about "what works" in terms of prediction and control. There is no claim for the ontological status (independent existence) of "concepts" like "atoms" or "genes" etc., and such concepts are open to continuous paradigmatic revision.

Linguistic pragmatism...the doctrine that "meaning" (status) of the elements of a language depend on the communicative functionality of those elements rather than corresponding to "aspects of an external reality". (i.e neither ontology or epistemology). It is a holistic doctrine in the sense that the "meaning" of a subcomponent ("word" for example) is dependent on a succession of nested linguistic contexts theoretically encompassing the "whole language".
0 Replies