Pork Chop Gravy

Pinqi

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:31 pm
My ex mother-in-law made the best pork chop gravy. Somehow I got it right once but haven't been able to duplicate it since. I've tried different oil combinations, making sure the chops brown, stirring more, heating the milk... I don't know what I am doing wrong. It just doesn't have that deep, savory pork flavor. Can anyone help me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,074 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:40 pm
@Pinqi,
Are you on good enough terms with her that you could just ask? (If she's still alive that is.) Most people appreciate being complimented on their cooking. (Unless it's a closely guarded family secret?)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:43 pm
@Pinqi,
Are you using bone-in chops or boneless? Bone-in chops will give off a lot more flavor as they cook than boneless.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:06 pm
@Pinqi,
Grandma's Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy

Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: 6
"There are no canned soups in this masterpiece. This is my Grandma's recipe that she gave me when I got married. Pork chops are baked then served with a rich mushroom sauce. It takes a little bit of work, but is great for a special dinner - my husband loves it!"

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, pressed
6 pork chops
salt and pepper to taste
1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained

1 cup dry sherry
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and saute until fragrant. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, then fry them in the skillet just until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops to a baking pan or Dutch oven.
3. Pour the mushrooms into the skillet with the pork drippings and garlic, and stir in the sherry and beef broth, scraping any bits of pork that are stuck to the pan. Bring to a boil, then pour over the pork chops in the baking pan. Cover with a lid, or aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, then remove the lid or foil, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the chops from the pan to a serving platter, and place the dish on the stove over medium heat. Stir together the cornstarch and water. When the juices in the pan come to a boil, slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chops, and serve.

---------------------------------------------------------

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:08 pm
Do you make a roux before you attempt the gravy?

Pour off almost all of the oil but leave the crusty bits that have cooked on to the bottom of the pan. Put a tablespoon of flour into the pan and scrape up the crusty bits. Let this cook until it turns a deep brown. It will get really thick and bubbly. Then add the milk and stir until smooth.

If all else fails add a bit of ham or pork soup base to the flour while you're browning it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:54 pm
I have always put about 1 tsp. soy sauce in my pork chop gravy. Made as above post.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pork Chop Gravy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 08:31:54