Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 01:31 pm
I have an old Apollo 8 Classic Rainsoft with computerized Q2 valve. It's about 23 yo. I noticed when I change out O-rings on piston that it is hard to pull piston out. Notice when I stick my finger in valve after sucking out water that the valve seemed to be bumped, like speed bumps on the road. Could this be calcium build-up between the rings causing the rings to wear out and other issues like getting salt and fizz after some regen? I have noticed the salt and fizz more recently after regen (disappears after running water for about 5 min) and the O-rings are needing replacement a couple of time a year. Can I also use a Dremel buffing pad to smooth out the bumps (still not sure what they are)?

thanks,
Jim
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,199 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:50 am
They made a piston reamer for this, but I doubt you can find one.
Use wood or plastic to remove the build up, scratching the cylinder walls is not good.
jssmcnet

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:31 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O Man,

I've buffed the inside of the valve with a Dremel and upon closer inspection noticed that the walls are pitted. Buildup could have been occurring over and because of the pitting. Anything I can do to keep/get this smooth?

The other thing is that the Cam is worn in a spot probably from the piston getting stuck during regen. I'm getting an answer from the local Central Florida dealer that the Cam is obsolete. They of course want me to buy a new model. Will I have to get this part, if available, from Rainsoft direct?

I guess the last question for salvaging the unit is whether anyone sells discarded units for parts? Do you happen to know?

Jim
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:17 am
@jssmcnet,
jssmcnet wrote:

I guess the last question for salvaging the unit is whether anyone sells discarded units for parts? Do you happen to know?

Jim

I have over 100 of the old brass valves on hand. Send me a private message and I explain your options.
jssmcnet

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
Hi H2O Man,

I don't know how to send private emails. Can you explain? Also, I read somewhere that it is best to put only about 60 lbs. of salt in the container.... why? It is what I do but only because I've had to empty out a few times to maintain the unit.

thanks,
Jim
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
@jssmcnet,
The cylinder inside the valve where the piston rides does have a ring cut into it at a certain location. The inside of the brass valve in the cylinder should never get pitted, it's coated. If it does get pitted, it's probably a warranty issue. As long as you have the original paperwork showing that you are the owner it should be covered, unless an unauthorized person has serviced the unit. You have voided the warranty by trying to buff it out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » calcium buildup in valve
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:00:43