Artistic Trading Cards aka ATC

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 01:13 am
Artistic Trading Cards:
Recently I was introduced to Artistic Trading Cards aka ATC for the very first time. Being a real dummy I'm still trying to get my head around this whole concept of painting pictures or designs and/or glueing assorted fabric shapes et el onto a 'canvas' no larger than the size of a playing card (2.5" x 3.5") thus creating some very nifty pieces of 'art work' and then swapping them with other like minded people.
I can myself see doing this sort of thing... but cannot see much further than that.
I believe there are "swap parties" and that bemuses me.
I'm trying to imagine people (seems the guys are into this too) all sitting in a lounge room somewhere, and they all have their collection of handmade ATCs.
Next... well, I am shrugging my shoulders... I am the fly on the wall watching down on this "activity".
How long do these swap parties go for? An hour? Two hours? More than that?
How long does it take for someone to swap one of their cards for another one?
Is the time taken up with everyone looking at everyone elses cards and then after a lot of ooing and ahhing... do they ask if they can swap? What is the proceedure? Maybe the ATCs are placed on a table for all to view, and then.....???
I am totally confused... and admit I am a real dummy.
If a Swap Party were to be held in my small town, I would want to attend, just to learn more.
I intend making some ATC, don't get me wrong. I am just a tad confused about the idea of it all.
I've Googled and have seen (and saved) dozens of other peoples creations, not so I can be a copy-cat, oh no... I just needed to have some idea of what is acceptable.
After I have made maybe half a dozen, I'll enclose one of them in an snail mail letter envelope that I'll have written to one of my snail-mail pen friends, and sit back and wait and see what sort of a reaction I get.
But after that...what? They might think it's just a titivated piece of cardboard and put it either in the bin or shove it away in a dark drawer where last years Xmas cards now reside. I know of some people who like to make their own personalised Xmas Cards, and that's nice, I suppose, but if you have heaps of people to send Xmas cards to, well... you can see where I'm heading. And I don't want to wander down that path (Xmas Cards) yet. I have a bit of a problem in that area.
I have joined an ATC yahoo group in the hope of learning more, but now need to "ask an expert". I know what an ATC is.
I just want to know what makes them so terribly popular as well as what goes on at the swap parties.
I'm looking forward to getting some informative feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 855 • Replies: 1
No top replies

drillersmum

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 06:59 am
On the 8th October I thought that if I posted the previous message someone would respond, but now, over 2 months later, on 15th December not one reply, so I'm now responding to myself, because someone might be interested in what I have found out about Artist Trading Cards, and who knows, one day I might be able to link up with someone who might be interested in corresponding with me about ATCs.
Since the 8th October I sent off to Amazon to get a nice ATC book, and later on, I found another interesting ATC book on ebay and sent off for that as well.
And I've made a few ATCs myself, but haven't given any away yet. Apparently the idea is that once you have made one, (or dozens) you are supposed to give them away. And the people you give them to are supposed to give you back one of theirs that they have made. And you are not supposed to pass on to anyone else any of the cards that someone else has given you. These particular cards are referred to as Second Hand and therefore it is not kosha to re-trade them. The ironic thing, at the moment, for me, is that the cards I have made I don't want to part with. I know that must seem a tad weird, and maybe after I've made heaps more, I might feel like giving some of mine away, but right now, all I am doing is making them, and simply showing them off to my friends.
There seems to be a fair amount of "rules" amongst the really serious artists, although they say that there are very few rules.. the two main rules are the size of the playing card, it must be 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches. You have to put your name and contact details on the back along with the date it was made. Those are the two main rules. A fair few other rules apply but because I am only making some at the moment for my own personal pleasure, I am not going to get stressed over them.
If there is anyone at all in A2K that would like to respond to me directly about these Artist Trading Cards, they can email me: [email protected]
I'm not going to get into "swap parties". The way I look at it, I am going to be flat out just making some, and then finding someone that I am happy to swap one of my ATCs with. One person boasted having over 7,000 ATCs. I can't see much fun in that. I'd never have time to look at them all. Early in 2011 I am going to attend an art class to learn more about art in general. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Artistic Trading Cards aka ATC
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:19:30