Significance to those "shadows" in yards..

dadpad

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:21 pm

Tyre swan
http://adaptivereuse.net/wp-content/uploads/images/swan2.jpg
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:11 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Tyre swan
http://adaptivereuse.net/wp-content/uploads/images/swan2.jpg

What a lovely notion... Let's throw it in the ocean!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:13 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Bad neighbor lol.......
http://www.resimcity.com/data/media/388/www.resimcity.com_komik_resimler_1.jpg

I cannot express the extent of my love for this picture... In fact, I lost my tape measure...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:16 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

But if it wasn't for these horrid displays - what the heck would we talk about.

The thing is - do these people really believe this crap looks good or do they like the humor in ruining the landscape.

What landscape??? It has all been turned into property, and people have the weird idea that they can do what they like with it, and while I would dispute with them over that thought, it is the prevailing one...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

See, call me tasteless or not, but I would put one of those mooning Gnomes somewhere in my landscape. Ihave several glades with chairs and stuff where one would look good. I have one Gnome whose leaniong on a rake and , when my wife painted it (in some yenta pottery class) she has the rake handle pinted a flesh like color so it looks like this little gnome is sporting a huge woody. Very cool.

Your wife is weird....Is she single???
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 06:52 am
Mom lives in the country and keeps a beautiful yard. She has a major green thumb. Flowers bloom all over the place.

In one area she has a metal little boy cut out with a hole in it to hold the water hose. It's for whimsy and fun. She's fun.

I'm pretty sure that's why these yard items exist. Let them have fun. They aren't hurting anything and it gives you something to look at as you pass.

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:25 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Mom lives in the country and keeps a beautiful yard. She has a major green thumb. Flowers bloom all over the place.

In one area she has a metal little boy cut out with a hole in it to hold the water hose. It's for whimsy and fun. She's fun.

I'm pretty sure that's why these yard items exist. Let them have fun. They aren't hurting anything and it gives you something to look at as you pass.

Something to not look at, you mean... When you have seen one you have seen more than enough...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:37 am
(shrugs).

If you don't want to see more, you can just keep your eyes on the road. I just find it a silly thing to take objection to, is all. I look at it as a window to who lives there. No need to judge, just observe.

(shrugs, again)
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:40 am
@squinney,
Me too, squinney. Although I do roll my eyes a little when I see a bathtub plunked upright into the ground and turned into a shrine.
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Me too, squinney. Although I do roll my eyes a little when I see a bathtub plunked upright into the ground and turned into a shrine.

Don't roll your eyes at the holy mother of the bathtub... Did you think superman keeps kids from going down the drain???
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
@Fido,
How did such a serious man become so funny?

I must invite your wisdom and wit to my serious question: http://able2know.org/topic/162034-1

BBB
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:33 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

How did such a serious man become so funny?

I must invite your wisdom and wit to my serious question: http://able2know.org/topic/162034-1

BBB

That is a serious one all right... Did you know Falkener was Bugs Bunny's father... He used to get drunk and go tell one of those Warners Bros how great their employee, Mickey Mouse was... For their part, they said they had the best writer in America working for peanuts... Ever been bit by a dead bee??? That was about the only line he got in a movie, I think, To Have or Have Not... Something like a Cuban Cassablanca...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:42 am
@Fido,
Speaking of bees, one of my favorite books, bought in 1979, is Bumblebee Economics. I see that the author has produced a revised edition to bring it up to date with our current economy. If you haven't read it, I recommend it. --- BBB

Bumblebee Economics: Revised edition
by Bernd Heinrich
Editorial Reviews

This is a remarkable and rewarding book, complementary to, yet in some respects going far beyond, its predecessors. It is highly recommended.
--Caryl P. Haskins (New York Times Book Review 20041218)

Extraordinary...the implications of work such as Heinrich's seem to me more resonant than the promise of a rich harvest of new research.
--Fred Hapgood (Harper's Magazine )

A magnificent book that combines the best of both writing and science...Heinrich has performed a masterful job of sharing his personal research efforts and those of others in his field. He has written an extremely interesting book and in the process has shown how one kind of organism can be used as a model to investigate behavior, physiology, ecology and evolution. Bumblebee Economics should serve as a model for good scientific writing.
--Matthew M. Douglas (Quarterly Review of Biology )

Heinrich is the author of several notable books about nature. This one, first published in 1979, is a classic, a fascinating, readable study of life as organized (sort of) by a most endearing little creature. A new preface summarizes findings of the last quarter-century. A splendid work. (Globe and Mail )

Product Description

"In his new preface Bernd Heinrich ranges from Maine to Alaska and north to the Arctic as he summarizes findings from continuing investigations over the past twenty-five years--by him and others--into the wondrous ""energy economy"" of bumblebees."
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
thanks
0 Replies