12

I had a heart attack - Can I still do Bikram Yoga?

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 06:46 am

I have been doing Bikram Yoga for 2 months and love it. Last Sunday, I had a heart attack. A blockage of one artery was relieved by angioplasty. I have a second blockage of 40% which they are no concerned about. Medicine will take care of it. The rest of my heart is fine as was my ultrasound. Very little or no damage. I would like to continue Bikram but I am going to need sound advice
to sway my doctor. Has anyone had this happen and return to Bikram? Do you know anyone?

Thanks
Mike

parados

2  
Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 07:58 am
@Mike Lopp,
Did your Dr give you some indication he would not want you to do Yoga?

My understanding is exercise (and diet) is important for those that have had a heart attack.

PUNKEY

1  
Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
Isn't that a type of yoga called "hot yoga" - done in a room over 100 degrees?

Just start walking, then brisk walking.

I agree with the Dr. - it's too strenuous right now.

paperpaper

1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:16 am
@Mike Lopp,
just do some easier movements....................

GerardSison

1  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:06 pm
@Mike Lopp,
I had a heart attack dec 18 2010 and had two stents placed on the main artery the same day. My doc got me into rehab 2 days later and after completing it, did a stress test and got athletic results not stopping in 30 mins on the treadmill and reaching level 10!

Have been doing Bikram for 3 years but only did 3 sessions in the last 5 weeks before my attack and had to sit during each of them. It was the most stressful 5 weeks of my life plus genetic programming hence the attack.

But 25 days later, went back to Bikram. Rock star! Never had to sit again. I've come to the conclusion, the only reason one has to sit out at all is that something is wrong in your heart, or your mind. One never has to sit down if one is in good condition.

Been at it for 5-6 times a week. Had a Thallium radiation test and my results are great. Today, 3 months later, still at yoga, doc dropped my 2 anti angina meds, that's 28 pills a week, and all this because of Bikram. I met Bikram by the way and told him my story and he said, it is not unusual.

A fellow from the audience, who's had 7 attacks from childhood defied all docs advice and took up Bikram and weights, and he's fine now and is in his 40's.

P.s. I'm 47 but look 36.

Pps. For as long as you're hydrated well, the heat is only a few degrees over body temp so you don't overheat, and your bloodnthins out so you won't get a stroke or a heart attack in the room.

Know your limits, my doc told me not to exceed 138 in my heart rate but the highest it's ever reached ever in class was 128, so within safe limits.

Good luck Mike. I hope you've resumed Bikram yoga. It's heart friendly.
nicolelord2

1  
Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 10:41 pm
@Mike Lopp,
what did your Dr said, please recommend from your doctor and then take decision.

jimrothmuller

2  
Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 01:28 pm
@Mike Lopp,
I had a heart attack and lost 30 percent of my heart muscle. I have lost weight, changed my diet and added Bikram Yoga to my exercise routine. Go slow, know your body, leave the room if over heated. Bikram Yoga has been great for me. I go 4 to 5 times a week and I feel great. Strengthened my heart, off blood thinners, my cholesterol and blood pressure is great.

Stephanie Ingram

0  
Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:00 am
@Mike Lopp,
You must take a long time rest....l

Alinajagger

-1  
Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 12:48 am
@Mike Lopp,
Yoga is always good for health. There are types of yoga particular for health stomach weight loss etc. You should always take care of your health consult with doctors, take proper diet which is beneficial for heart.

seemapatel

0  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 03:54 am
@Mike Lopp,
i suggest the hardly workout is not starting in the heart attack.
i suggest u morning & evening u started the waking.
& litly exercise u will started.

google

markwaun42

0  
Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 12:34 am
@GerardSison,
You can do some simple poses of Bikram yoga through which the stress on your heart will not exceed. And for doing complete yoga you should wait for some time. Just try to avoid picking up heavy weights.And just keep chill don't get angry try to control anger cause I have seen anger starts giving stress on heart.

1  
Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 06:06 am
I would like to remind everyone reading or responding to this topic that this site does not provide medical advice.

Anyone who has had a heart attack should go to their doctor and ask about their exercise options, and not cherry-pick the advice they get from unlicensed and unqualified people on the Internet.

Deia

0  
Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:35 pm
In point of view, now should do more yoga for your heart health. However, you must concern with your doctor.
Get well soon!!