A Function Word Problem!

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:04 pm
Winona deposited $30 per week into her cookie jar. After 2 years she spent half of her savings on a stereo. After spending 6months on vacation she proceeded to spend $15 per week on CDs until all of the money in the jar was gone. Graph the amount in her cookie jar as a function of time.

I'm not concerned about graphing it, I just have no idea how to set it up into an equation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 12:15 am
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:

I'm not concerned about graphing it, I just have no idea how to set it up into an equation.

Why do you need to do this? Can't you just prepare a table using -- dare I say it -- arithmetic?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 01:05 am
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:

Winona deposited $30 per week into her cookie jar. After 2 years she spent half of her savings on a stereo. After spending 6months on vacation she proceeded to spend $15 per week on CDs until all of the money in the jar was gone. Graph the amount in her cookie jar as a function of time.

No equation beyond very simple ones is necessary. At the end of 2 years, she had $30 x 104 = $3120. She has the same amount for six months. Then she spends $15 per week so that after $3120/$15 = 208 weeks she has zero.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Function Word Problem!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 04:40:11