Habitat For Humanity - Upped Prices Cause For Foreclosures

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:49 pm
Put dirt poor people in homes. Then let the prices go up beyond their means. Cruel hoax, if you ask me (which nobody did)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOUSTON—Skyrocketing escrow fees and escalating mortgage payments have some low-income homeowners pointing a finger of blame at Habitat for Humanity.

Residents of the Cherie Cove subdivision in northwest Harris County blame the nonprofit agency for creating conditions that could force some families out of their homes.

“They’re not working with us and we don’t know what to do,” said Molly Selman, who has lived in the community since it first opened its doors in November of 2006.

Selman is one of several homeowners currently facing foreclosure proceedings. Selman said she fell behind on her payments because of escalating escrow fees.

“It’s gone up by more than a hundred dollars and I can’t afford it,” she said.

On Tuesday, neighbors attended a town hall meeting organized by activist Quanell X.

They’ve signed petitions and plan to attend another meeting next Thursday. Representatives from Habitat for Humanity have also been invited.

According to the director of development for Habitat for Humanity, the new fees are justified and residents have been given a thorough explanation.

“It is Habitat for Humanity’s desire that all of our partners become successful homeowners,” said Habitat’s Rachel Wright. “That’s why we work as hard as we can to keep them in their houses.”

Selman said she used to be homeless and fears what could happen.

“I don’t want to be homeless again and see my family separated again,” she said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 1
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm
I have been considering working Habitat now and then, if my health allows (after I retire). I hope this gets resolved before then.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Habitat For Humanity - Upped Prices Cause For Foreclosures
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 11:27:22