Does Atheism Poison Everything? debate; Christopher Hitchens vs David Berlinski

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:28 pm
@fresco,
I do't think Hollis Ray Mathis ever showed up here--i think he was only at Abuzz. You're dating yourself online.
fresco

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:49 pm
@Setanta,
You could be right ! I think he was discussed here though on a "do you remember" type thread.

Here's one http://able2know.org/topic/63691-2
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:45 am
@Arthur Durnan,
Even of a god existed (I am dubious), he was an amazingly incomptetent "designer" with a severely vitrioloc sense of humor. Otherwise, why would he "Create" a series ofspecies, only to let global tectonics kille em all off , only to have to recreate similar "niche users" a few tens of millions of years later.

Youre view of evidence seems tenuous and highly selective. You accept mathematical laws as important to some sort of argument, but deny their very importance to the train of global geochemistry and geophysics through deep time time.

Why do you insist that successive adaptation of a simple thing like a molecular defined biological trait is random "Chance". I submit that youve been educated in the process of Evangelical ARgument but not in the process of evidencing scientific facts.

Your statement that the fossil record is transition free is Evangelical claptrap, presented by folks fearful that their sense of "control" will be rendered irrelevant.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks BBB, I love to catch these made up confrontations on tv. Never take em too seriously unless they affect your school district. The whole subject of highly publicized (course C span aint exactly prime time) evo/devo debates and their underlying spitbbattles about atheism always entertain.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 06:07 am
@Arthur Durnan,
Quote:
Further the second law of thermo. precludes spontaneous production of complex organic molecules (proteins, DNA, RNA) without prior blueprint & mechanism to convert free energy into a usable form.
This shows a completely biased and illiogical POV about the subject. First off , show me the math that the second law of Thermo requires "Blueprints" or that DNA is a product of similar blueprints. If anything DNA is a never ending barcode that doesnt "get rid" of old junk material that ties one species to another.
We still maintain evidence in our HOX sequences that we are related to paddlefish and mice. There are hundreds of other gene triads that show bazillions of "fossil genes" from other species
Also, gene sequencing by Paabo at MAx Planck has shown a very clear "second cousin"relationship between us and Neanderthals.

Id love to hear a Creationist argument regarding the multivaried species of organisms that live on islands. Island chains that, until a few million years ago, didnt even exist. Could it be that specioes arrived and evolved and departed from mainland prototypes, or did some oogedy boogedy deity crank em all out from his creation fanny pack?

0 Replies