If a cashier made a error in your favor would you correct it or run?

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 02:46 am
Cashier made a mistake of $12. His till will be $12 short this morning. I didn't realize till I got home. Would you go back and fix it or not? His loss , your gain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 4,919 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 03:59 am
Everytime you go into his store you will feel guilty. guilt is an emotion that eats away at you over a period of time. Its almost certainly not worth it.
Of course your time is valuable too so if its an inconvenence to you then perhaps a phonecall... It might well work out in your favour.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 05:35 am
Yeah, depends on how far away it was. If it was somewhere I shopped regularly, yes. If it was in another town, no. Of course, you could let them know and then mail it in.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:02 am
If you were overcharged by the same amount, what would you do?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:11 am
I would return it. It is the only right thing to do.
I believe that also, in many cases, the clerk pays out of their own funds when the register is short.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:16 am
@edgarblythe,
i'm with edgar - store clerks make little enough money ; but i also make sure i'm not overcharged.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:18 am
@hamburgboy,
I watch one clerk in particular. She shortchanges herself or me on a regular basis. Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:21 am
This might be an interesting problem for personal morality, but what often happens in stores is that "shrinkages" are compensated by temporary rises in the price of best sellers by a minimal amount. For example, in the UK, a supermarket need only put one penny on a can of baked beans for a day or two to make up for hundreds of pounds. Knowing that, and knowing also the profit margins and levels of wastage on which many stores operate, may have some impact on the morality question.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:55 am
@fresco,
Quote:
knowing also the profit margins and levels of wastage oun which many stores operate, may have some impact on the morality question.

If the shortage is coming out of the clerk pocket is would have no effect at all.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:00 am
@Frenchfry,
To tell you the truth, if I noticed the error while I was in the store I'd cough up the extra dough and notify the cashier of the error but elsewhere I'd doubt I notice the error. Usually I'd realize that hey I have found money (extra dough) in my wallet and not make the connection of where it came from. I'd make note of the extra bills then go and spend it elsewhere (perhaps an extra pint of ice cream or whatever). Confused
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

If you were overcharged by the same amount, what would you do?

Again, if I noticed and I tend not to study my receipt like most people don't I'd actually go back and notify the manager (but only if it's an exorbitant amount of overcharge). If it was say an extra dollar or less then I'd just bite my tongue and bear the extra loss.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:03 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

This might be an interesting problem for personal morality, but what often happens in stores is that "shrinkages" are compensated by temporary rises in the price of best sellers by a minimal amount. For example, in the UK, a supermarket need only put one penny on a can of baked beans for a day or two to make up for hundreds of pounds. Knowing that, and knowing also the profit margins and levels of wastage on which many stores operate, may have some impact on the morality question.

It has no impact for me. I know that many in business have these ways of getting it back, but I have no way of getting my integrity back if I take ill gotten gains.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
I always correct it because the individual sales person may be responsible for a shortage at the end of the day.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
@Frenchfry,
Frenchfry wrote:

Cashier made a mistake of $12. His till will be $12 short this morning. I didn't realize till I got home. Would you go back and fix it or not? His loss , your gain.

No, Id take the dough and run. Why? Because very often the cashiers have made mistakes that have cost me money. Time to get even, I say. Drunk
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:04 pm
It depends. If I notice in the store, like someone already said, I'd speak up about it. If I noticed later I would not go back, even though I would probably go back if it was the other way around.
If it happened in a bar I would give the money back 1 beer at a time Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgarblythe said: "It has no impact for me. I know that many in business have these ways of getting it back, but I have no way of getting my integrity back if I take ill gotten gains."

I knew there was some reason beyond your poetry that I liked you.

BBB 2 Cents Mr. Green
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:39 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks, BBB.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:13 pm
A couple of weeks ago I went into a convenience store right down the road and bought a few items. I paid for them with my debit card when the cashier said, "I am sorry but I only charged you for one muffin and you bought two." I handed him my card and said no problem. This young woman behind me said, "Why did you do that? It's his mistake!" I told her, "because it is stealing." She said, "It's not stealing if it's his mistake." Personally, I'd feel so guilty about it I'd have to go back and I am a firm believer in what you reap so shall you sow.

People do make innocent mistakes and it's not right for us to do wrong because of it IMO.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Same here. Exception would be the restaurant I use for breakfast. Once, I left a ten and a one, intending to leave two bucks. Next day, the waitress insistantly pushed it back on me. That day, I left three so she wouldn't lose anything.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 05:44 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't like the woman behind you! You're right, the mistake was innocent and most of this kind are.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » If a cashier made a error in your favor would you correct it or run?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:31:25