Purchasing Publix Stocks

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:56 pm
I work for a grocery chain called Publix headquartered in Lakeland, Florida and I thought I looked up their P/E ratio to be about 10..isn't this a low P/E value? According to the Publix website Publix had an increase of 15.8 percent in net profit from the 2nd quarter of 2009 to 2010. Earnings per share increased to $0.44 for the second quarter of 2010, up from $0.38 per share in 2009. I've also heard that Publix is virtually debt free. I know this might be a hard question to answer considering I'm refering to a stock that is not public and is only available to Publix employees to buy. Publix has 1020 stores in a total of 5 states... http://news.morningstar.com/newsnet/viewnews.aspx?article=/bw/20100802006032_univ.xml ...but does this sound like a good stock to buy in such a bad economy? If not, why not? If so, why so? Thanks in advanced for any helpful feedback
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,901 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:36 am
@netsurfer802,
Dig up PE and a few other fundamentals on, say Kroger - maybe. Is there really any value in PE by itself if the stock is not traded publicly? My inclination is to think it might be a tough stock to sell if you needed to get rid of it in a hurry.
netsurfer802

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:32 pm
@roger,
oh ok...thanks very much for the feedback...yeah...maybe your right...it's something that if I go ahead and purchase stocks I don't think I'd be in a hurry to sell...but I don't know what the future holds...maybe it would be good to purchase and let grow for retirement money...as far as other stocks, like on the stock market I'm kind of naive (I mean I don't have a lot of experience.) Thanks again.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:38 pm
@netsurfer802,
I only made the comment because I once bought a stock my broker described as "thinly traded." There was some kind of market crash in the mid '80s, and the class of stock I owned simply disappeared. Ultimately, E.F. Hutton bought it for $1.00. This is a sometimes courtesy that lets the owner of valueless stock take the tax loss. You can't take a loss on a stock you can't sell because you still own it.

For what it's worth, Publix is a much better developed company than Noble Metals Recovery. I know nothing bad about it, but do encourage you to diversify, just on general principles.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Purchasing Publix Stocks
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:13:14