I'm a prefectionist.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:54 am
It can really interfere with my everyday life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,126 • Replies: 26
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
@DrewDad,
So, define prefectionist Drew.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:51 am
@DrewDad,
Someone who prefers perfection? Someone who prepares for perfection? Someone who predicts they'll be perfect?
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:07 am
@sozobe,
Ford Prefect: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/David_Dixon_as_Ford_Prefect.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:11 am
@DrewDad,
I think I know exactly what you mean.

Does it prevent you from ever fully completing something?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:57 am
@boomerang,
Nah. I just always want to be the leader.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:49 pm
@DrewDad,
Hi IS cute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm
I didn't reply because I couldn't tell if you were kidding, Drew Dad, perfectionist being spelled differently than in your thread title. I still can't tell...
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:12 pm
Perfectionist won't be happy with 'good enough' results. Therefore, everything is a much more daunting task than it need be. Write a report, update a website, or god forbid, write an article? Ugh.
Plus, perfectionist is driven by this competitive urge to win, be best, satisfy everyone, excel.... it is exhausting, frustrating, stressful, and often counter-productive.

that is also why many perfectionists are also big procrastinators. everything is a Big Project. (plus, procrastination involves activities that also need to be done well).
Pemerson

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:15 pm
By being a perfectionist, do you mean that nothing will ever be completed (by you) because nothing will ever be perfect?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:17 pm
@dagmaraka,
That's interesting,

says the big procrastinator.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@Pemerson,
no.

but things might not get completed on time and might take longer. once done, they might be well above and beyond of what was required. of course there are different kinds of perfectionists. this is but one of them.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@dagmaraka,
the other mode of a perfectionist, besides procrastination, is a frenzy mode. working 16 hours a day for days or weeks until The Thing is not done to his/her liking.

...so it's not that they're a lazy bunch, but wired differently. a 9 to 5 schedule won't work for this variety of a perfectionist.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@dagmaraka,
Back in my design days, I was a slow starter, if I had a window for that. (Fast if I had to be). Various mullings would occur, if there was an allowed meantime, in the contract promises. Once I got going, I might work a zillion hours on end. Or some matters would fall into place, likety split, having been pre-mulled, and then just fit. Things always worked out, but there was an element of my putting off engagement for this "mulling" time, or at least wanting to.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:32 pm
@dagmaraka,
Shake hands with another one...
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

no.
but things might not get completed on time and might take longer. once done, they might be well above and beyond of what was required.

That would be a very wonderful, amazing thing to know about one's self. That, no matter what, the work always gets done. Maybe the genius is knowing when the work is done.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Back in my design days, I was a slow starter, if I had a window for that. (Fast if I had to be). Various mullings would occur, if there was an allowed meantime, in the contract promises. Once I got going, I might work a zillion hours on end. Or some matters would fall into place, likety split, having been pre-mulled, and then just fit. Things always worked out, but there was an element of my putting off engagement for this "mulling" time, or at least wanting to.

Actually, that is a good part of the fun of design, the mulling, the playing, the not quite engaged time of many what ifs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:18 pm
I am considered a perfectionist at my job. Which was fine when I was lead man. Now, much of my effort is considered wasting valuable time. I try to do my thing while making the lead guy happy where possible. But - I gotta be me, in the end.
Eva

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, Edgar, you do.

I'm more than a little bit the same way. That has been an asset since I've always done publication work. There are millions of details to keep straight, and no end to proofing. It has suited me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:02 pm
Thanks guys. You made me feel so much better about being a slob.

1. Forums
  2. » I'm a prefectionist.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:38:08