Confused Secular Humanist Wants To Know

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
D'artagnan- OK, I'll bite. Personally, Christmas has no religious meaning for me. I do think though that the Christmas season is always good for revving up the economy. And that is a GOOD thing!
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:13 pm
I like christmas because it is the only time I can readily purchase and consume large quantities of eggnog.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:40 pm
Another often overlooked silver lining to the commercialization of Christmas: going to the mall. No, don't shop. It's the years best chance of running to all those people you haven't seen in years.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:55 pm
LOL Mr. Stillwater, my habits have tended to become much more interesting since meeting Dys in Albuquerque, although I was never really a nun. I can, however, be disgustingly nice, which I am doing my best to overcome. Do you have any idea how boring it is to always be called the 'nice' one??
Goddam, it's a bitch.

OK, getting back to the niceties of Christmas......yeah, he should have remained a carpente--and worshipping a crucifix is more than grisly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:35 am
One sincerely hopes that Joseph the carpenter wasn't supplying the Romans with crosses or timber. Bit too horrible to think about.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:35 am
Thanks, all.

In spite of your efforts, I'm still confused. If a Muslim slopped ink on a picture of the Holy Family or blared sacred music in the market place, many Christians would be outraged.

If these things are done by Christians in the name of a holiday atmosphere....

I suppose there must be a difference.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:55 am
Noddy24- It's a tribal mentality. When you were a kid, you could think or say a lot of negative things about your parents. But if your friend dissed your mom.........................
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:43 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Thanks, all.

In spite of your efforts, I'm still confused. If a Muslim slopped ink on a picture of the Holy Family or blared sacred music in the market place, many Christians would be outraged.

If these things are done by Christians in the name of a holiday atmosphere....

I suppose there must be a difference.

I've yet to see anyone complain about a Muslim, Jew or Atheist buying a postage stamp of their choice and putting it on an envelope. Reasonable people see a postage stamp as being exactly that and nothing more. No reasonable person expects that a postage stamp is a holy icon in any way (unless perhaps they are late on getting their car payment in the mail and they find that last postage stamp hidden in a desk drawer just in time. Very Happy ).

I'd guess that if someone went into a church and took a painting off a wall and smeared ink all over it the story would be different but that's hardly what is happening with postage stamps.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:30:46