Khethil

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
On another thread there's a good discussion about this disorder. I hadn't heard of it before, so I thought I'd check it out. I found a reasonable-sounding definition on this link. Here's a small excerpt:

"A person with narcissistic personality disorder:

* Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
* Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
* Has feelings of self-importance
* Exaggerates achievements and talents
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
* Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
* Requires constant attention and admiration
* Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
* Has obsessive self-interest
* Pursues mainly selfish goals"

I've learned a little bit here; that such a condition has been classified, etc., and sounds quite serious. But as I read that list of symptoms, one thing hit me like a ton of bricks: Holy Crap - this sounds like an exact laundry list of everything that's wrong with my nation's culture! (U.S.)

Perhaps I've just become very jaded these days - I really try not to - but it seems to seep in no matter what. Does anyone else see these symptoms as a rather accurate representation of the same symptoms the U.S. culture suffers from?

Looking forward to replies - Thanks in advance

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,902 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@Khethil,
I think I might agree with you, Khethil!
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@Khethil,
Narcissitic tendencies develop in children who are fed a constant diet of praise and are never disciplined. Stands to reason that these tendencies would develop after a couple generations of intense nationalism and overall economic and military supremacy. Happened to England and France during colonialism as well. Future history will Kick us in the pants and after a couple generations of has been-ism things might settle in to a less narcissistic society.
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
@Khethil,
As opposed to which other country?

I think most countries act like babies like that to some extent.

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:56 pm
@dlowan,
I'd agree about most Modernized Industrialized Countries
dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 02:16 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I'd agree about most Modernized Industrialized Countries

Which non-modern non-industrialised countries act like grown-ups, do you think?
roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 02:52 am
@GoshisDead,
Are you saying narcissitic tendencies are the same as narcissism, and that they are developed?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:02 am
@roger,
No its not the same as narcissism, I'm not exactly certain that a country can be diagnosed with a psychological disorder. I tend to think that a society/culture has a mind-like expression and exhibits a personality-like thing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it has a and actual singular mind which could be diagnosed as narcissistic. Hence narcissistic tendencies or maybe a better term would be exhibits narcissistic traits.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:05 am
@dlowan,
What my other post did not convey correctly because I tend not to proof read when I'm at work, is that the narcissistic tendencies are portrayed as adults because of the way the children were raised. And to further compound the confusion I misread your post about acting like babies and in a narcissistic response I assumed that you were talking more directly about what I thought I had written.
dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@GoshisDead,
Er....what?

Could you run that past me again?
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:25 am
@dlowan,
meh doesn't matter, comes down to I wrote sloppy post then misread a post
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:03 am
@GoshisDead,
Hey, gosh, I and Roger miss you on the thread you quit. (Sorry, can't just link fast).
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:51 am
@Khethil,
Years ago I read somewhere that a group of psychologists concluded in a report back in the 1970's, that U.S. culture is narcissistic as a whole.
Narcissism in individuals as I understand it, is believed to develop in early childhood, its causes are unclear, as it can develop from varied backgrounds.
Khethil

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
@chad3006,
chad3006 wrote:
Years ago I read somewhere that a group of psychologists concluded in a report back in the 1970's, that U.S. culture is narcissistic as a whole.
Narcissism in individuals as I understand it, is believed to develop in early childhood, its causes are unclear, as it can develop from varied backgrounds.

Yes, and that makes sense.

To accuse US culture as wantonly narcissistic seems mean spirited, condemning and bitter. I'm really not and don't want to come off that way; re-reading my opening post here I could see this coming off quite badly. But I do believe its true - actually, scratch that - I know its true. I've lived in 10 states (long term) and 3 countries and while "people are people" (in that we're all individuals with our own issues), the pattern is quite clear and quite embarrassing.

http://michaels-daily-bread.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-world-according-to-americans.jpg
Some call it the "free spirit", others call it "arrogance". I think narcissistic is the best characterization because it not only represents a core cause of many of our own internal difficulties, but seems to also apply to that brand of narcissism that could be applied to the entire culture.

Perhaps our prosperity, vast land stores or compartmentalization plays into this too. I understand that many (probably most) in the U.S. of A. see or would accept this, but its true. Yes we are different; yes we are absorbed with ourselves - and yes, I wish it were different.

Just random thoughts
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:18 pm
@chad3006,
A certain level of group narcissism is necessary to maintain group cohesion. I would think doubly so for a country, nation. or state which often has to manufacture cohesion through nationalist propoganda in order to gather a diverse population under an ideal.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
@GoshisDead,
I actually got your first post...I think it was very clear.

My point was that I think ALL countries are rather narcissistic. (I see narcissism in adults as being very infantile in nature...as if the person has remained a baby...

You responded that you thought western countries were more narcissistic (infantile in my view)

I responded by asking which non modern industrialized countries you saw as not having narcissistic characteristics.

This is a question I would be interested in having your views about.

I suppose I would add two things.....I suspect the US knows less about other countries' narcissism because it tends, en masse, to know little about other countries. (Too narcissistic to see others' narcissism? Wink )

I also think that US culture and power is so bloody dominant that your failings are writ large upon the world consciousness and have a disproportionate effect. I do not know that these failings themselves are especially unusual...

talk72000

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@Khethil,
I think humans have never been living in such huge numbers before and the need to differentiate oneself could be what we identify as narcissistic but in reality it might be just to seek identity in the huge mass of people in cities.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah you are right, a world power's narcissism seems more intense because of their influence on media and economic policy. Does this make smaller countries less narcissistic? Maybe, simply by being deprived of the priviledge. maybe not Simply because of the latent narcissim that would happen if the country were in the position to do so. I have lived in less narcissistic countries than the U.S. Mostly because some of them were in the position to have to beg for assistance from more stable economies.
dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:05 am
@GoshisDead,
I am interested in which countries you saw less narcissism? It'd be interesting to see if we might be able to think of factors which might explain this.

I don't see smallness of a country as necessarily leading to less narcissism.

Never heard of "little country syndrome"? Wink

Here's a lovely satire about aspects of this in Australian culture:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/australia.shtml

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:54 am
@dlowan,
I lived in Cape Verde for a while and Ginea Bissau for a while
0 Replies