Did "Any Serviceman" really appreciate mail from strangers?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:37 pm
I just finished packing two small boxes of goodies (paperbacks and savory snacks) for shipment to Iraq. Well Wishers can no longer ship packages to "Any Serviceman", but I have a friend with a Career Military nephew who said that some of his troops would probably be without Christmas packages.

Supposedly the "Any Serviceman" package and letter tradition was stopped because of security reasons. Exlax Brownies are only one of the nasty possibilities in the Candy-From-Strangers tradition.

I have heard stories of marriages that resulted from "Any Serviceman" correspondence. I've sent packages in the past through Operation Dear Abby and have received some very sweet thank you notes.

All the same, I wonder whether a package from a stranger could make up for not getting mail from loved ones? Perhaps the "Any Serviceperson" cards and packages weren't as good for the troops' morale as we've been told? Perhaps the volume of "Any Serviceperson" mail was complicating delivery of wanting mail?

Facts and speculation are both welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 903 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:33 pm
Noddy24- I was never in the service. There is only one way that I could relate. When I was a teenager, and felt lonely, I would order catalogs of every kind, just so I would get mail.

I would suppose that some of the guys and gals would be grateful to know that someone was thinking of them, even a stranger!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:13 pm
I remember reading letters written to Dear Abby thanking her and her readers for the letters. From what I remember the servicemen really appreciated the packages. I can't imagine anyone not being grateful. It's sad that the practice has been discontinued.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:43 pm
Links to web sites for mail to servicewomen/men
Here's a web site with a number of links for sending mail to servicewomen/men - including "Dear Abby":

MAIL TO SERVICEWOMEN/MEN
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:15 am
I have a friend who was fighting for the British army out in Iraq... he received quite a few packages, many of which were from strangers, and it delighted him. It is universally nice to know that someone is thinking of you.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:57 am
Well, I surely understand that intentions of Noddy are good, but we should not deny that unaddressed packages may constitute a security beach. Some ill-intended people may insert anything ranging from anthrax germs to cocktail of powerful somnifacients and laxatives, thus impairing the functionality of troops. It is technically impossible to check miriads of possible packages of the kind.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:05 am
That's true... it's sad that people cannot trust each other these days, but in this instance, I condone the precaution.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:06 pm
Thanks, all.

Interesting fact--possibly quite unrelated to suspending "Any Serviceperson" mail. The suicide rate for members of our Armed Forces serving in Iraq is exceptionally high.

Home away from home is a complicated place.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:40 pm
That's very true; I know that I could never do it myself. Yet, I have diplomatic immunity, so even if forced inscription were introduced, I wouldn't have to join.

Being away from those you love, with the danger of death at every turn is daunting. Whether I agree with the war or not, I applaud such courageousness of those in such a situation.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:47 pm
WHAT ABOUT THESE SITES TO SEND MAIL . . .
What about these sites to send mail to the troops?

Additional Info on how to send packages, letters to troops:

Dept. of Defense Deployment page & Info on their recommendations to support our troops. Includes info on mailing letters, packages, military relief societies for families, etc. http://deploymentlink.osd.mil/faq/faq_troop.shtml

If people are interested in sending a letter to the troops, The Dept. of Defense has suspended its practice of forwarding correspondences from American people to "any Serviceman". They recommend using "Operation Dear Abby" website at: www.operationdearabby.org or http://anyservicemember.navy.mil/

The USO has programs and services to military personnel & their families and also has USO care packages to Military that people can purchase (recommended by the Dept. of the Defense) http://www.uso.org

Veterans of Foreign Wars offers program where people can purchase phone cards for military http://operationuplink.org/

Also, VFW offers Thank You Care Packages to deployed military families http://www.vfw.org

Network For Good is a portal of over 800,000 non-profits. It has a full listing of organizations people can donate or volunteer with for (a) Humanitarian Relief to Iraq, and (b) Supporting Military & Families www.networkforgood.org Also links to each charity's IRS 990 info & Guidestar listing to give full background, tax certification, etc.

[/color]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:54 pm
I heard quite a few radio ads for fund-raisers for the phone-cards for the military while I was travelling to Ohio this weekend. Sounds like a very sensible plan. I know that I need my phone cards, and I can just imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to talk to family back home for those on active duty.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:43 am
charli--

Thanks for the comprehensive listing. Bureauracies can be dealt with.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:08 am
noddy:

From personal experience: My brother was in baghdad for a year and he just got back. Me and several ladies & gents from my job sent letters, well wishes, prayers and packages to him as well as other soldiers in his unit and from his own mouth they were all very very pleased. Some of them thought more of getting things from strangers - people who didn't know them from Adam - because it showed the support of the Nation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:42 pm
Onyxelle--

Thanks for the information. War is a very strange place.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Did "Any Serviceman" really appreciate mail from strangers?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:56:20