Hostess gifts.

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
I need suggestions for a hostess gift to take to an event at my friend's house next month.

It shouldn't be Christmas-centric because she's Jewish and I'm nothing.

She's an attorney. She a great cook. She loves to read.

She's fabulously wealthy so she buys just about anything that catches her eye.

I would love to find something wildly unusual to take - something she might not have already found for herself.

Because I am fabulously unwealthy I would like to spend no more than $50 or thereabouts.

Though I don't know her very, very well, she has been a great friend to me by offering lots of good legal advice and legal references for a bizaree thing that happened in my life. We have come to enjoy each other's company even though we circle in different circles most of the time.

I would like to take her a token beyond the typical hostess type gift. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 834 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:02 pm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... thinking....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:05 pm
I guess the obvious gift is a photograph taken by you. Do you know what her style is? Been in her house?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:10 pm
I think I'm heading the direction littlek is. I was kinda trying to think of something she might have wanted to do but hadn't - and you'd set it up. Then I image-googled hostess gift, and my brain wandered over to something slinky. Which got me thinking along the glamour shot trail ... which then took me along the photography trail ... a photo how and where she wants it.

Friends of mine have another friend who's a photographer. Each year in the fall, he goes out to their farm, and takes a family portrait - which they then use as a family Christmas card (as well as having the portrait up in the house). One year with the dogs in the woods, one year by the barn with the horses, another year by the lake with the canoe... They are not traditional portrait-portraits. They catch the spirit of the family, and someone who didn't know them couldn't give them that gift.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:18 pm
Ohhh. You guys might be on a good track.

That is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about. Something small and personal. Something intimate.

I have been in her house - it is amazing. Her husband is a painter so they have a lot of beautiful and original stuff on their walls. (FYI - they just bought this historic home and are having the furniture custom made in the proper period style. I did say they were amazingly wealthy, didn't I?)

Even if it's not something that I made (a photo) - a really lovely frame or something might be just right.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:21 pm
Hmmm.. Historic home?? Historic as in "There might be some old pics of it kicking around in a local library" historic?

Maybe you could find an old pic (or two..) and have a decent print made of it?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:23 pm
Hostess?

Twinkies!

(no, 'k's idea is perfect! Photo!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:24 pm
Yikes! fishin' - that's a great idea!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:28 pm
errrrrr, quick digression. Twinkieboy - pm me the address the twinkies are to be mailed to - and when.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:28 pm
Hope it works for ya Boomer! Happy pic hunting. Wink
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
Yah... will do Beth. Hey boomer, you wanna mail some Twinkies for me?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15423
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
I guess it depends on to whom I am mailing Twinkies SealPoet. If I send these out will the anti-Twinkie league show up at my door and send me off to Camp X-ray? Is John Ashcroft aware of this twinkie thing? Cautious me would like a little more creme-cake info before I commit.

It turns out that Mr. B knows a guy who knows the architect of the house who - da ta ta daaaaa - is still alive - so maybe the search will not be too hard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:23 pm
Hooray to MrB for knowin' a guy who knows a guy ...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:59 pm
Yeah. Hooray for Mr. B. He knows everybody. He is as social as I am anti-social. He actually found out about this house for our friends - which is how he knows a guy who knows a guy.

I guess it is true that opposites attract - Mr. B and I have been together for 20 years and we are sooooo different.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:48 pm
Fishin's idea is great!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hostess gifts.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.19 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:27:32