thanksgiving?

hello

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:30 pm
this may sound rather ignorant, but can anyone explain what thanksgiving is all about? i understand it has something to do with indians (but not cowboys), and that pilgrims (whatever they are) are somehow involved. id never heard of it until a couple of years ago until an american relative wished me a 'happy thanksgiving'. i just said yeah you too, while all the while having no idea what she was on about.
any historical info, or just explaining how the day is spent would be good to hear.
oh, and i also know there are turkeys involved, and that it is celebrated on a thursday.
happy thanksgiving i guess! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
Each year, Americans sit down at table to gorge themselves in honour of their near-complete eradication of the native population. The pilgrims fled England because of persecution, only to become worse than their enemies once they arrived at Plymouth Rock. I'm pretty sure that bison was the original Thanksgiving roast, but once it was hunted nearly into extinction, the turkey became the meat of choice. Now for an unbiased opinion, someone else will have to pipe in. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:27 pm
Here's a more "traditional" take on the holiday:
http://www.holidays.net/thanksgiving/
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » thanksgiving?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 02:31:33