life created in lab?

xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:39 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168399 wrote:
I love these types of criticisms. It's like:

"Let's make a box, except let's not use any materials that are currently being used to make boxes, because that would be cheating."

For these types of early experiments, we have to use something that we know works. We use what we know to see if it can come about. I am sure later they will tweak the experiments to see if other types of "organic" compounds can produce self replicating cells.
What a silly analogy. I am questioning the accuracy of the statement not the facts. If they had said we have invented a box, would you say that was a silly statement?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:05 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168458 wrote:
Here's a question: if the beginning of life can be figured out, how come the cause of cancer can't be?

Because the solution probably is contained within what determines when a cell will divide. Most cancers are basically cells that get stuck on dividing. If we understood what determines when a cell should divide we could probably solve many cancers. We just don't understand what triggers this response.

Most cancer treatments actually treat the mass of cells. Since cells require nutrient source, what most medications or treatments do are either sever the food supply, hoping they will starve and die. Or the treatment aims to destroy the "problem" cells directly through some evasive procedure, ie. cut out the cancerous tissue, or radiate it.

In some ways I think the medical industry doesn't really want to try and solve cancer without some kind of medical treatment. There is no money in cures, only treatments. So they would rather treat you because it's more profitable. I don't agree with this tactic but what can you expect from government induced problems? More problems.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:08 AM ----------

xris;168481 wrote:
What a silly analogy. I am questioning the accuracy of the statement not the facts. If they had said we have invented a box, would you say that was a silly statement?

No but the point is, you are expecting them to use something outside the understood aspects of what makes up a living cell. Similar to asking someone to construct a box, except you expect them to use a material that is never used in creating a box.

They start with the materials that we know and understand, which make up living cells. This is because we know that these ingredients do work. The test is to see if you take these non-organic ingredients, will they come together to form organic compounds which will then result in a self replicating cell?
jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:12 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168484 wrote:
I think the medical industry doesn't really want to try and solve cancer without some kind of medical treatment. There is no money in cures, only treatments. So they would rather treat you because it's more profitable.

That's just a wee bit cynical, isn't it?
Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:13 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168486 wrote:
That's just a wee bit cynical, isn't it?

It is, but it is also true.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:28 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168484 wrote:
Because the solution probably is contained within what determines when a cell will divide. Most cancers are basically cells that get stuck on dividing. If we understood what determines when a cell should divide we could probably solve many cancers. We just don't understand what triggers this response.

Most cancer treatments actually treat the mass of cells. Since cells require nutrient source, what most medications or treatments do are either sever the food supply, hoping they will starve and die. Or the treatment aims to destroy the "problem" cells directly through some evasive procedure, ie. cut out the cancerous tissue, or radiate it.

In some ways I think the medical industry doesn't really want to try and solve cancer without some kind of medical treatment. There is no money in cures, only treatments. So they would rather treat you because it's more profitable.I don't agree with this tactic but what can you expect from government induced problems? More problems.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:08 AM ----------

No but the point is, you are expecting them to use something outside the understood aspects of what makes up a living cell. Similar to asking someone to construct a box, except you expect them to use a material that is never used in creating a box.

They start with the materials that we know and understand, which make up living cells. This is because we know that these ingredients do work. The test is to see if you take these non-organic ingredients, will they come together to form organic compounds which will then result in a self replicating cell?
If the research labs had this instruction, to find treatments rather than a cure, dont you think we would have heard? My wife was cured of cancer by treatment, was that treatment or a cure?

Creating life is not using life to create new life. If you had basic compounds and created the correct circumstances for life to appear then that would be creating life. With your view life has always existed it never evolved or had a start. Your box is just silly.
Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:44 am
@xris,
xris;168495 wrote:
If the research labs had this instruction, to find treatments rather than a cure, dont you think we would have heard? My wife was cured of cancer by treatment, was that treatment or a cure?

Xris, as usual you only focus on the aspect of the argument you want to and ignore the whole argument. My main point was that we could probably cure cancer from ever happening, but as it appears the medical industry doesn't want to go that route. They would rather use treatment methods to cure you instead. Because a preventive solution is not as profitable as a treatment regiment

xris;168495 wrote:

Creating life is not using life to create new life. If you had basic compounds and created the correct circumstances for life to appear then that would be creating life. With your view life has always existed it never evolved or had a start. Your box is just silly.

They aren't using life to create life. They have already used inorganic compounds to produce the basic building blocks for RNA successfully in the lab. Not only that but what we believe were the conditions of the young earth, the process is easy to replicate. Through a process of mixing and evaporating steps you can produce the simple amino acids which make up the building blocks for RNA.

So that is taking non-living material and building the first steps to what make up self replicating cells.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:48 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168500 wrote:
My main point was that we could probably cure cancer from ever happening, but as it appears the medical industry doesn't want to go that route. They would rather use treatment methods to cure you instead. Because a preventive solution is not as profitable as a treatment regiment

This is an interesting reflection on your belief system, Krumple. Chilling, really.

Sorry for having introduced this diversion, it is probably quite irrelevant to the main thread.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:27 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168500 wrote:
Xris, as usual you only focus on the aspect of the argument you want to and ignore the whole argument. My main point was that we could probably cure cancer from ever happening, but as it appears the medical industry doesn't want to go that route. They would rather use treatment methods to cure you instead. Because a preventive solution is not as profitable as a treatment regiment

They aren't using life to create life. They have already used inorganic compounds to produce the basic building blocks for RNA successfully in the lab. Not only that but what we believe were the conditions of the young earth, the process is easy to replicate. Through a process of mixing and evaporating steps you can produce the simple amino acids which make up the building blocks for RNA.

So that is taking non-living material and building the first steps to what make up self replicating cells.
Ahhhh so you want them to invent a preventative medicine, sounds like quackery to let people smoke and drink with abandon.

Man has not created life, so dont pretend they have. Building blocks amino acids, that's not life and you know it. Have you invented a new concept of life?:perplexed:
0 Replies

memester

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:31 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168484 wrote:

No but the point is, you are expecting them to use something outside the understood aspects of what makes up a living cell.
If they make the claim that they made life, they should in fact have done so. But they did not do so. Their view is that they created life, whereas they could have made similar claims when they invented synthetic blood. So far they only synthesized a part, and inserted it.

Quote:

Similar to asking someone to construct a box, except you expect them to use a material that is never used in creating a box.
incorrect. all the substances that make up a cell are available to them. No limitations existed, other than their own limitations of ability and knowledge.

Quote:
No, they did not start with the known materials that make up a living cell. They, in fact, used a cell, but claimed they made life.

Here is how the equivocation works. You say you created a new life form, which is true. Because the part you created is a synthetic creation, and because you stress that this is the "real" part of Life, then reports go out saying that you have created Life. But you did not create Life, you created a new life form.

Genetic modification has been creating new life forms for some time, now, though. It's not creating Life.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:50 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168458 wrote:
Here's a question: if the beginning of life can be figured out, how come the cause of cancer can't be? Because they are really very similar in some ways. I knew a medical researcher once who characterised cancer as 'new growth'. One important difference is, however, we can actually inspect and analyze cancers as they occur, whereas whatever happened in the 'warm little pond' is separated from us by 4 billion years, or so.

(I actually get the feeling that the idea that, once it commences, biological evolution is kind of like a spontaneous reaction that culminates in complex beings, is far from the truth.)

I don't think there is a single cause of cancer. But don't they know some of the causes? For example, x-rays work by sending alpha particles through the body that can pass through the flesh but not the bone. In passing through the flesh they sometimes hit the nucleus and knock out little bits of dna. If the knock out the right bit, cancer.

I think they understand a fair bit about how transcription errors can cause regular mutations too.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:36 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;166977 wrote:
After all, they modeled it off of already existing life.

Why would that make a difference? If someone found a way to create a new universe but modeled it on the already existing universe, would you say the same? Maybe retroinventing is the best or only way to recreate life. So what? It is still the creation of life.
richard mcnair

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168550 wrote:
Why would that make a difference? If someone found a way to create a new universe but modeled it on the already existing universe, would you say the same? Maybe retroinventing is the best or only way to recreate life. So what? It is still the creation of life.

But they didn't just model on something living, they just took an already living cell, and gave it a DNA transplant, and it was able to replicate so apparently that means they created life. At no point did something that wasn't living become something that was living, hence they didn't create life.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:53 am
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;168552 wrote:
But they didn't just model on something living, they just took an already living cell, and gave it a DNA transplant, and it was able to replicate so apparently that means they created life. At no point did something that wasn't living become something that was living, hence they didn't create life.

If that is true, then that is different. That would be (I suppose) an indirect creation of life, and that is not the same thing. The creation of life would be creation from scratch.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:04 am
@salima,
I humbly submit that either folks ought to actually read the referenced link before debating it, or that we ought to read more carefully. We're not talking about creating life.

The article itself said, "...a team that has for the first time created a synthetic cell" (emphasis mine)

Cheers
memester

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;168560 wrote:
I humbly submit that either folks ought to actually read the referenced link before debating it, or that we ought to read more carefully. We're not talking about creating life.

The article itself said, "...a team that has for the first time created a synthetic cell" (emphasis mine)

Cheers
depends on what part of which articles you read and quote from. Most of the headlines are saying synthetic or artificial life was created, as does the article in the FIRST LINK. Scientists create artificial life in lab - Yahoo! India News
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168550 wrote:

Well, I could copy out a mozart symphony and it wouldn't be as impressive as writing my own. Nevermind, I think that analogy proves your point. This is the case of scientists writing a new symphony, just not coming up with a new form of music entirely.

And talking about this achievement in comparison to the hypothetical creation of life by some sort of god seems a bit pointless.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@salima,
Found this on ted
Craig Venter unveils "synthetic life" | Video on TED.com
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:24:52