firmware...what is it?

salima

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:26 am
ashampoo gave me a notice firmware is available for my cd burner...but it is dated prior to the date i bought my pc which may or may not mean anything.

my question is, what the heck is firmware anyway? do i need it or do i have it and should i update it? they didnt really say i should, they just told me it was available when i sent in an error report about a reading failure in a dvd copy attempt. i looked at the site but it just says 'firmware headquarters' and i really cant tell what it is or where it's coming from. tried googling it too but that didnt help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 9
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:25 am
@salima,
Iirc, software exclusivly for hardware, with instructions how to operate.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:51 am
@salima,
salima;144047 wrote:
ashampoo gave me a notice firmware is available for my cd burner...but it is dated prior to the date i bought my pc which may or may not mean anything.

my question is, what the heck is firmware anyway? do i need it or do i have it and should i update it? they didnt really say i should, they just told me it was available when i sent in an error report about a reading failure in a dvd copy attempt. i looked at the site but it just says 'firmware headquarters' and i really cant tell what it is or where it's coming from. tried googling it too but that didnt help.

Hi Salima. If the firmware update is prior to when you bought the burner, odds are you don't need it.

Firmware is basically a type of read-only software that generally handles fairly simple computing tasks (such as making sure a device is using its electrical power correctly), as opposed to a software program that does a lot of stuff.

That's my basic understanding. I'm sure there are some computer nerdlings out there who could be more precise.

Regards,
Tock
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:14 pm
@salima,
I'll agree that you probably don't need to update. Firmware is like your system BIOS, in that it is stored at least partially in the hardware itself. It's a more permanent change and as such has more risk to update.

A device driver can be removed and reinstalled.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:21 pm
@salima,
Firmware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baal

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:38 pm
@Emil,
While there is no concrete classification as to what firmware is, it tend to be an embedded operating system that is not intended to be replaced/installed/changed by the user. In reality firmware can be a common operating system (e.g. many devices use Linux "Firmware", or it can be some very small code that runs on a microcontroller and 2KB of memory. In any event, when you hear the word "Firmware" your first reaction should be not to touch it.

x86/PC BIOS would be considered firmware (In fact, equivalents such as Open Firmware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are meant to parallel the function of the PC BIOS).

Do not touch/update firmware unless you (1) are experiencing an issue with your device which is known to be a fault of an older firmware version and is repaired by an update, and (2) are following reliable instructions, or have the know-how and equipment to repair it in case something goes wrong.
Arjuna

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:42 pm
@Baal,
Firmware is the program in a computer "chip" called an EPROM. You'd have to change out that chip (it pops out of its socket with a screwdriver.) It's also possible to download firmware to a special kind of EPROM, so you wouldn't have to change the chip. Whether that technology is involved here, I don't know.

So they're speculating that the error you saw might be from a bug which might have been fixed in the latest firmware.

It's possible that your cd burner has an older program than the one they let you know about even if you bought your computer after the latest firmware date.

In other words, if your cd burner is giving you grief, changing that chip might solve it. I would lean toward don't bother unless the problem with the cd burner is worth the effort.

If you want to change it, you might want to have a computer technician do it. If you want to do it, you can, but you have to make sure you're grounded when you change it... a static discharge like the little zap you get when you walk across a carpet and touch a doorknob: that can destroy an EPROM.
Ahab

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;144286 wrote:
It's possible that your cd burner has an older program than the one they let you know about even if you bought your computer after the latest firmware date.

That is a good point. Also, isn't it possible to go into the Device Manage and compare the number of the current firmware on the cd burne and compare it to the new firmware number?

But as you said, if its not broken, probably better not to take the risk with a firmware update.
Arjuna

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@Ahab,
Ahab;144294 wrote:
That is a good point. Also, isn't it possible to go into the Device Manage and compare the number of the current firmware on the cd burne and compare it to the new firmware number?

But as you said, if its not broken, probably better not to take the risk with a firmware update.
I don't know if the device manager would know the date of the firmware. It might.

But if the cd burner worked before and now it doesn't, the firmware probably isn't the problem. It might be time to buy a new cd burner. They aren't too expensive. And again: a computer technician could change it out.

One thing to do also, is try to burn a cd with a different software program. For some reason I can't burn cd's with the latest edition of itunes. I have an old computer.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:02 am
@salima,
thanks for all the input. i guess it seems to be unrelated to the ashampoo program, so the best thing to do would be to try and uninstall then reinstall the new ashampoo and try reading the dvd again. if it works, well and good. and also get someone else to try and read it on their machine.

i am usually hesitant in doing any updates-if it aint broke, dont fix it is my motto. buut at the moment i dont know if it is broke or not. i have no reason to think so really.

one of the scariest things i read while trying to learn about this was reports that dvd/cd writing software can actually screw up the disc you are trying to copy and then it tells you it cant read it and gives you an error. i had no idea the software could cause anything to go wrong with a dvd or cd just by trying to copy it...and meanwhile the malfunctioning user goes on looking everywhere else to fix the problem.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » firmware...what is it?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:06:48