what shall I tell my son?

salima

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:03 am
I will be going to america to see my son in about a month and staying for seven weeks. what kind of advice can I give him about finding work? he lives in the great lakes area which was hit by the economuc turmoil really bad. he lost his job about two years ago, and hasnt worked since except for a short term thing. he says even temporary work is not available.

at first I told him not to take something he didnt like because he would be tied up and miss what he really wanted when it came along, but I think two years is long enough to hold out.

he has no education, (high school only), thirty years old, and his main experience is in a plastic factory running some machines which I dont know their names. but that was something he found out he doesnt like, though he was good at it.

to give you an idea of what kind of guy he is, he is a musician and likes to play D&D. he has a great imagination for story lines as DM but there doesnt seem any way to turn that into income. same with music, I thought maybe he could do something related to music, there are other ways to make a living that relate to music without having to be a rock star.

he is organized and disciplined, but not an office or book type worker. originally I had suggested starting as a cook somewhere because you can work your way up to being in a high class place and make good money. but he didnt like that. there must be other things a person can get into without any degree. he doesnt strike me as a salesman type. (too honest). I think he gets along well with people. somehow I dont see him being a tradesman or going out in the 'field'. I had even suggested to him to be a forest ranger. no, he didnt like that either. so I think like a girl, cant help it!

I have no idea what kind of effort he put into thinking about finding something or actually looking for something. I assume whoever answers me will be a young man, so think about what he would be doing-you know better than me. a boy doesnt tell his mother very much.

any advice? he is sort of philosophy minded, so I think the young men on this forum would understand what he might like to do and be able to do-the only catch is, no education.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 435 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:22 am
@salima,
I don't know what to suggest. I know from bitter experience there is no shortage of aspiring musicians. (I would love to see that headline: Drastic Shortage of Aspiring Rock Musicians. Government to Relax Visa Rules.) Probably you have to be in his space for a while before you know. I think the first rule of being a mother is just being there, and as you are going to be doing that, maybe that comes first - just catch up and enjoy. As for general advice on life, being able to contribute is a big motivator.
xris

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:50 am
@jeeprs,
To start with a good summer job, is what i advice my grandchildren. You meet different people that widen your horizon , the pays crap but at least your occupied. Most unemployed don't see further than their back yard. Best of luck Salima, its never easy..ps...my grand daughter worked as waitress all summer and has been in Thailand for three months with the money she earned.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what shall I tell my son?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:34:16