homeopathy

salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:23 pm
is anyone out there into this? i mean using it regularly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,206 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
@salima,
salima;89703 wrote:

Yes, I drink a lot of water daily. It is good for you.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:35 pm
@salima,
I used it regularly for many years. I found it very difficult to use because the repertorization process is quite complex, exacting and takes many, many years of regular practice. Nowadays, this process is somewhat easier with computerization, but still it needs very skillful repertorization and I find it difficult to find even a professional who has developed the necessary skills.

I found it most helpful for deep issues. What Hahnemann called miasms (deep inherited problems). These would normally be chronic physical or emotional issues. It is excellent for these if the appropriate remedy is found. Fantastic. Probably the best I have every studied.

Nowadays, I rely mostly on Classical Chinese medicine which are faster acting and more predictable for acute problems. But homeopathic Sulphur did wonders to cure some very deep problems I had that were manifesting as eye infections.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:42 pm
@salima,
salima;89703 wrote:
I spent a few days in med school with a guy who had an MD but did pure homeopathy.

The main problem I can't get around is that there is no real definition of diseases and therefore no definition of outcomes. It's a purely symptom-guided intervention, but without even a rationale for the intervention itself.
salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:46 pm
@salima,
thanks rich. i have found it useful for psychological disturbances, and it cured a case of trigeminal neuralgia for me once when i was on the brink of suicide. but i have never gone to a professional, i just wing it. i think i must be doing pretty good if i have had effects. it is also good for fibromyalgia, rhus tox is great for that for starters.

i was looking for a downloadable medica (i forgot the name of the record they have...) but it may be too big to download. all i have are some scribbled notes, mostly on anxiety, depression, etc. right now i am taking a cocktail of ignatia, bellis and mag phos. any suggestions? i suppose i am doing ok but i just wondered if anyone had any standard remedy. i understand the concept of treating the whole patient, and i have enough other problems, but as you say it is too complicated to do it the right way and from what i have seen of the practitioners here they are quacks. i could give them a try anyway, because they are at least cheap quacks!

i had looked into that dosha thing in ayurveda, the diet based on sattva-tamas-rajas, but it sounds too outlandish to me.
richrf

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:52 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;89708 wrote:
I spent a few days in med school with a guy who had an MD but did pure homeopathy.

The main problem I can't get around is that there is no real definition of diseases and therefore no definition of outcomes. It's a purely symptom-guided intervention, but without even a rationale for the intervention itself.

Paul,

Understanding the medical perspective, in the U.S., on Homeopathy, you will probably not buy into the Homeopathic rationale. But basically it is this:

"Like cures like," said German physician Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy. His theory: Natural substances that produce similar symptoms in a healthy person can cure those same symptoms in an ill person. In other words, a homeopathic medicine works when it is based on its similarity to the illness. For example, Allium cepa, a member of the onion family, is a common remedy for the tears and runny noses associated with respiratory allergies, including hay fever. (And we all know that peeling onions makes us cry.)"

One of the most controversial aspects of homeopathy are the dilutions. Highly diluted remedies are theorized to still create a sufficient response. Homeopathy is quite popular in Europe where it is covered by national insurance and South America. The Royal family of England has a homeopathic physician and is very supportive of its role in medicine.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:53 pm
@salima,
salima;89711 wrote:
it is also good for fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia in numerous studies has been shown to respond to placebos at a very high rate. It's a frustrating, difficult condition to care for, but part of the problem is that people with it seldom respond to conventional pain meds (they respond MUCH better to exercise, sleep hygiene, diet control, and antidepressants) and they often gravitate towards complementary providers (i.e. non allopathic MDs).

---------- Post added 09-11-2009 at 08:58 PM ----------

richrf;89713 wrote:
Paul,

Understanding the medical perspective, in the U.S., on Homeopathy, you will probably not buy into the Homeopathic rationale. But basically it is this:

"Like cures like,...

One of the most controversial aspects of homeopathy are the dilutions.
I'm aware of the like cures like rationale -- but they're not giving "like" in many cases. They're not treating bee stings with bee venom. They're treating twisting abdominal pain with dilutions of freeze-dried breast cancer cell culture extract.

The dilutions are what they are. Potent things work at tiny dilutions (by definition). What interests me is not rationale but rather the relationship between how problem x and intervention y become outcome z. Plenty of legitimate therapies have been in use long before their mechanism was understood (think of cinchona bark and qinghaosu for malaria, which in these days are better known as quinine and artemisinin).
richrf

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:32 pm
@Aedes,
Hi Salima,

I found this online reperatory based upon Kent over here:

Online Repertory Version 2.0

It seems pretty good and easy enough to use.

And I found links to most of the major materia medicas here, including Kent's:

Books Online

Hope this helps. I agree with you it is very difficult to find someone who knows what they are doing, even those who have been practicing for a long time. It looks like you have the patience and aptitude to figure it out yourself. Good luck!

Rich

---------- Post added 09-11-2009 at 09:44 PM ----------

Aedes;89714 wrote:
I'm aware of the like cures like rationale -- but they're not giving "like" in many cases. They're not treating bee stings with bee venom. They're treating twisting abdominal pain with dilutions of freeze-dried breast cancer cell culture extract.

In homeopathic practice, different people will react differently to bee stings. It is the the symptom picture that develops after the bee sting that homeopathic practitioner will (should) look at. But everyone does it differently based upon their experiences and perspective. Very much of an art, though reperatorization does help to arrive at the appropriate remedy. Hahnemann just kept lots of notes and had a picture of each remedy that he would apply.

Aedes;89714 wrote:
The dilutions are what they are. Potent things work at tiny dilutions (by definition).

I am not sure you are aware, but some homeopathic dilutions are diluted passed Avogadro constant. This is highly controversial.

Aedes;89714 wrote:
What interests me is not rationale but rather the relationship between how problem x and intervention y become outcome z.

The problem x in this case is the complete symptomatic picture. The remedy, intervention y, is applied which in theory is supposed to heal the symptomatic picture into a healthy state, outcome z. Essentially the body is excited in such a way (presumably by vibrational forces) to heal itself.

Aedes;89714 wrote:
Plenty of legitimate therapies have been in use long before their mechanism was understood (think of cinchona bark and qinghaosu for malaria, which in these days are better known as quinine and artemisinin).

Yes, the action of quinine was actually the creative impetus for Hahnemann. What is most controversial is the potentiation (dilution) processs. He did this so that there would be a minimum about of harm (no harm) done to the body when the remedy is introduced.

Rich
richrf

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:48 pm
@salima,
salima;89711 wrote:
right now i am taking a cocktail of ignatia, bellis and mag phos. any suggestions? i suppose i am doing ok but i just wondered if anyone had any standard remedy.

Hi salima,

I would say that classical Homeopathy as practiced by Hahnamenn relies on a single remedy at a time. Homeopathic remedies are sold as cocktails and these may have some benefit, however the classical approach is find the single remedy that most suits the total picture. For issues as you are describing, a homeopathic practitioner will attempt to match a constitutional remedy that best matches your fundamental character with special emphasis on your emotional and mental outlook.

Here is a brief discussion which may give you some ideas of classical constitutional remedies.

Check your Constitution - ABC Homeopathy Forum

Frequently, constitutional remedies can precede a healing crisis, which is why a professional practitioner could provide some very practical advice.

This is a good article describing this process:

http://www.weim.net/homeovet/Docs/constitutional.txt

Wish you the best.

Rich
0 Replies

William

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 08:22 am
@richrf,
richrf;89763 wrote:

I am not sure you are aware, but some homeopathic dilutions are diluted passed Avogadro constant. This is highly controversial.

Wow, this is such an exceptional thread and very informative and complimentary so far. Thank you Rich for bringing a new term to me "avogadro constant": talk about serendipitous!

One of the things that I have noticed as we communicate in this forum is many times there are words used that are alien/esoteric to many of those seeking answers and tends to alienate them from giving their "full" attention to what is being discussed. I know this will be a judgment call on the part of he who is communicating in that if they are familiar with the word, they have a tendency to believe "everyone" is. This link illustrates it's (avogadro) meaning as it relates to chemistry and to it's very complexity itself. Had you used "balance or balancing act", or any term that would not be so "alien", then more would "learn/pay more attention" like me, Ha! Like this for instance:

"......some homeopathic dilutions are diluted that are not in balance creating controversy". Would this be appropriate, IYO?

I know it would be, by observation, considered the onus/work on the part of the observer/ he/me, so ignorant, to "look it up themselves" if he/me wants to participate in this discussion. And that is what I do, CONSTANTLY, Ha! I live in "dictionaries"!

If at all possible, if we try to use "Occam's Razor/simplicity" when we select the words we use, for many are not like me and will not take it upon themselves to "study" so hard as they will drift away from the importance of what is being discussed. That defeats the true purpose of what this forum is all about, IMO.

Balance is every thing and perhaps it is the "one true thing".

Sorry, for the interruption, I thought it might help.:bigsmile:

William
richrf

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 08:49 am
@William,
William;89822 wrote:
Wow, this is such an exceptional thread and very informative and complimentary so far. Thank you Rich for bringing a new term to me "avogadro constant": talk about serendipitous! William

Hi William,

Thanks for pointing this out. The reason I used this particular word is because I was speaking directly to Paul, and I knew this word would have particular implications for Paul. My guess is he already knew this, but I wanted to highlight it for him.

For other readers of this post, let me explain.

There is a point of dilution, where theoretically there will no longer be a single molecule left of the original substance. So, during the homeopathic dilution process they will sometimes dilute substances to such a point there will be theoretically not even one molecule left of the original substance. This is often sited by scientists as meaning only water is left, and therefore the original substance can no longer be of any efficacy.

However, in homeopathic theory there is something left. What is left is the vibrations of the original substance which is sometimes referred to as water memory. Different levels of dilutions are theorized to provide a different vibrational effect on the body. To say the least, this is highly controversial.

There have been some experiments performed looking for water memory and there are some signs that there may indeed be memory. Scientists are working out theories and tests to find it. Here is an article that discusses the issue:

watermemory

Here is the wikipedia article on the subject:

Water memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many, many articles on the web on this subject. Finding the correct way to measure possible water memory is ongoing:

The Strangeness of Water & Homeopathic ‘Memory’

Hope this helps and thanks for your post.

Rich
Tod Todor

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 01:49 pm
List of homeopathic doctors in Canada, USA and New Zealand:

http://alternative-medicine-homeopathic-doctors.free-business-directory.com/

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 02:40 pm
@richrf,
Quote:
There have been some experiments performed looking for water memory and there are some signs that there may indeed be memory. Scientists are working out theories and tests to find it. Here is an article that discusses the issue:

This is very misleading. No one has been able to reproduce the experiments under scientific scrutiny. Water memory has been widely discredited in the scientific community.

However, I am a believer in the power of a good placebo to help people feel better, and homeopathy has as much value as other unscientific treatment in this regard.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » homeopathy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:32:07