Dire Straits

Leonard

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:27 pm
Are there any fans of Dire Straits out there? What is your favourite song and concert?

I enjoyed the concert in Nimes 1992, especially the moments when Knopfler teases the crowd. His cockiness seems to up the quality of his music. My favorite song is So Far Away, it's one of the classics that brings back nostalgia and unfortunately angst.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 826 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Emil

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 01:42 am
@Leonard,
I like it, but I don't know any of their concerts. I especially like the usual ones: Money for nothing, Sultans of swing and some others. I would check too see which ones in particular but I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here right now and I want it to be un-interrupted.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:31 pm
@Leonard,
I see. The concerts often have some degree of improvisation which makes the songs of that concert distinct from others. Mark Knopfler still has a concert once in awhile though Illsley isn't there on the bass.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:45 pm
@Leonard,
Mark Knopfler is an awesome guitar player. Although, when I was younger, I despised Dire Straits, but in my age I can appreciate their talents more fully. My favorite song--"The Sultans of Swing" of course, but my other favorites I recognize, but couldn't tell you what the hell they are.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:30 pm
@Leonard,
my dad is haha, but I also like some of their songs
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
@Leonard,
It seems that the most popular songs by Dire Straits are also the ones least like the rest, Money for Nothing in particular.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 01:53 pm
@Leonard,
I like "why worry", especially the lines "there should be laughter after pain, there should be sunshine after rain".
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:03 pm
@Lily,
Six Blade Knife is in my top 5 songs of all time.
Leonard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;151045 wrote:
Six Blade Knife is in my top 5 songs of all time.

I agree. It's got some good lyrics too.

---------- Post added 04-24-2010 at 05:54 AM ----------

Lily;150997 wrote:
I like "why worry", especially the lines "there should be laughter after pain, there should be sunshine after rain".

Agreed. Knopfler's songwriting is about as good as his guitar-playing. The live versions of why worry are always the best.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:12 pm
@Leonard,
Here are my favorite songs from Dire Straits in no particular order:
The Man's Too Strong
So Far Away
Going Home (theme of the Local Hero)
Industrial Disease
Lady Writer
Brothers in Arms
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dire Straits
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 04:01:32