IS CLIMATE CHANGE STOOPABLE TO PREVENT THE END OF CIVILIZATION

mohi44

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 03:47 am
Sharon Begley wrote in the Newsweek of 23 March 2009 wrote a one page article captioned " We can't stop climate change'. But inside she gave another name of her writing. This was "We can't get there from here". She cited US Department of Energy's conclusion that the breakthroughs in Physics and Chemistry required to stop the present climate change scenario is "beyond our present reach". And she prtrayed a dismal state of research in this area.
Under the circumstances the basic question is, "Is it possible to stop the present alarming trend in climate change?"
I would like to hear expert answers to such questions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,481 • Replies: 21
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:06 am
@mohi44,
Climate change isn't stoppable with our present technology. The next ice age will be upon us no matter what we do. However, the changes won't happen so quickly that we can't adapt our civilization and survive, it just won't be pleasant getting there.
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 05:39 am
@mohi44,
Im sorry but youre all doomed. So we would like you to just move along and try to be happy in the meantime.

mohi44

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:54 am
@rosborne979,
The climate will only be warmer day by day. How can one then convincingly prove that an ice age would also come?
mohi44

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:56 am
@farmerman,
Can you yourself be happy in the meantime?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:48 pm
@mohi44,
mohi44 wrote:
The climate will only be warmer day by day. How can one then convincingly prove that an ice age would also come?

The data from the ice core samples is overwhelming. All warming trends over the last 600k years have spiked to just about where we are now at which point, global temps retreat into a persistent ice age. The spike is so sharp and consistent that it strongly implies a global climatological destabilization event (such as a shutdown of the oceanic thermohaline cycle and corresponding deep ocean currents).
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 01:53 pm
It's the end of the world as we know it
And i feel fine . . .
0 Replies

mohi44

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:42 pm
@rosborne979,
As Einstein observed, the world war after the 3rd would be fought with stones and sticks, the world will go back to the pre-historic mode after the annihilation of mankind and ruination of civilization because of the increasing heat of global warming.
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 10:55 pm
You're really peddling bullshit when you claim that Albert Einstein had anything to say about climate change.
mohi44

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:33 pm
@Setanta,
Anybody who undersatnds English well will realize what I really peddled in the words of Einstein.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 04:10 am
@mohi44,
mohi44 wrote:

As Einstein observed, the world war after the 3rd would be fought with stones and sticks, the world will go back to the pre-historic mode after the annihilation of mankind and ruination of civilization because of the increasing heat of global warming.

He was referring to the effects of atomic war, not global warming. The boogie man of Einstein's day was atomics. Climate risks weren't even on their radar at the time.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:00 am
@mohi44,
As a native English-speaker with an excellent grasp of my native language, i realize that you're peddling bullshit when you try to make Einstein's quote out to refer to climate change.

If your English is so good, perhaps you could explain to us how climate change can stoop.
chai2

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:15 am
@Setanta,
Is it hot in here, or is it just me?
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:16 am
@mohi44,
Quote:
IS CLIMATE CHANGE STOOPABLE TO PREVENT THE END OF CIVILIZATION

she stoops to conquer
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:43 am
@chai2,
Maybe you're having a hot flash, but i doubt it. I suspect your reacting to the hot air which is found here in an overabundance.
0 Replies

mohi44

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:17 am
@Setanta,
I now find your excellent grasp of your native language, but I suspect if you have the least grasp of the common sense of realising what is a slip of pen (computer key board in this case). Instead of stooping down to bullshit, why don't you realise that I quoted Einstein in the context of his fear for a 3rd Great War, not in context of global warming? Global warming at this fearful scale wasn't even conceivable in his time. The runaway global warming is the making of modern men who are known to be developed and civilized.
mohi44

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:30 am
@rosborne979,
I am afraid you missed my point in quoting Einstein in the context of the possible 3rd World War.
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:49 am
@mohi44,
If you had any reasonable command of the English language, you might have made your belabored point about Einstein plain. Instead, you babbled in a manner which clearly suggested to more native speakers of English than just me that you were claiming Einstein had commented on climate change.

Don't blame other people for your own failure to express yourself clearly. I certainly need no lessons from you on the coherent expression of ideas in the English language.

By the way, it is not at all certain that climate change is anthropogenic.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:35 pm
@mohi44,
hi mohi44, hope you enjoyed your welcome to www.able2know.org

i loved your allegorical reference
0 Replies

mohi44

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 02:48 am
@Setanta,
You have ultimately brought the cat out of your bag i.e. your coherent stand with those who conspire to dub climate change natural, and not anthropogenic.
However, I don't need to debate with you on this anymore. Because neutral people already have stated the bare fact in candid language instead of arguing with my command over English Language. They mentined, in a nutshel, as follows:
1. It isn't possible to combat climate change with the present technology.
2. Since we can't do anything much to stop climate change with the present state of affairs, let us enjoy what we get at the moment, however momentary it may be.
3. We are doomed, and we can't do anything to change our fate.
One replied, however, in the line of the conspirators. He argued that insted of warming, the world will experience an ice age and the planet has already set itself in that mode.
I agree with those who lament for our inability to address climate change with appropriate technology. But I strongly beleive that men could tackle the problem, if they were not, in the words of Betrand Russell, "stupid".
Now the question is: should we allow ourselves to be burnt by the stupid people and by the global warming as well?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » IS CLIMATE CHANGE STOOPABLE TO PREVENT THE END OF CIVILIZATION
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 08:09:47