djjd62

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:17 am
i prefer the briggs & stratton test, can you start a lawn mower
http://www.lawn-mowers-review.com/images/briggs-and-stratton-yardman-65-hp-21-cut-21120441.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:19 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
A savvy respondent can skew the results

this is why I've never liked it as a stand-alone

Have any other tests you'd suggest to do?

A
R
Tests, other

not independently (that's a very personal opinion)
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:22 am
@djjd62,
Laughing

A
R
Try pulling the cord...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:24 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
The Myer-Briggs is empirically validated.

Empirically validated? Yeah, right. You haven't even explain what "validated" means.

Here is the problem-- you give people a simplistic view of human behavior that fits people nicely into 16 little boxes. All of a sudden people start making hiring decisions and dating decisions and life decisions without any critical thinking. The fact that people don't fit into 16 little boxes is doesn't even matter any more.

Let's talk about what the word "validated" means (if the word is to have any worthwhile meaning).

1) You need to define what you mean by "valid" - and you need define it in a scientifically measurable way.

2) You need to design an experiment to make a scientific measurement across a statistically significant, non-biased population. This experiment should be performed by researchers who do not benefit from either a positive or a negative result to this experiment.

3) After this experiment has been completed (and reviewed and accepted) the claims being made should be limited to the claims that were tested.

What I have seen, the Myers-Briggs promoters fail on all three of these criteria--

1) The make vague non-testable claims about validity.
2) They run experiments (on vague claims) where all the researchers are invested in proving that Myers-Briggs is "valid".
3) They then push Myers-Briggs into all sorts of fields extending far beyond the original vague claims.

That is what I have seen so far... But I am a scientific guy, you can change my mind. I would like to give you a challenge.

To start please offer me a scientifically testable claim that relates to the "validity" of Myers-Briggs. Then we can talk about whether they have been fairly tested by non-biased researchers.

But you can't just say they have "validity" without explaining what validity means.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:28 am
@ebrown p,
I'm not going to do your research for you. You've claimed that it is no more valid than a horoscope. How about you go find data for that, m'kay?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:37 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I'm not going to do your research for you. You've claimed that it is no more valid than a horoscope. How about you go find data for that, m'kay?

Lol. I have done more research on this then you think. And I have yet to find any scientifically valid claims behind Myers-Briggs.

My point is that people should be skeptical of Myers-Briggs. Of course people should be skeptical of any pseudo-science claims someone is trying to sell them.

It is fine that you are unwilling to give me this alleged "data". I only hope that other people are a little skeptical about the lack of scientific backing before they swallow the Myers-Briggs bunkum.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:41 am
@ebrown p,
Frankly, I don't feel any need to convince you of its validity. You're entitled to your opinion.

As ART said, that isn't what this thread is about.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:42 am
@ebrown p,
And.... my skeptical reaction to Myers Briggs isn't my fault.... it is just that I am an INTJ.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:43 am
@ebrown p,
Welcome to the club.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:44 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I don't feel any need to convince you of its validity.

I suppose that would be to much too much to ask. It would be nice if you would at least define what "validity" means in terms of Myers-Briggs (in a scientifically testable way).
ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:47 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Welcome to the club.

For the record, I "determined" I am INTJ by googling the 16 different boxes and then randomly choosing one of the two with the word "skeptical" in it.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:49 am
@ebrown p,
Again, I don't feel the need to educate you. I think you're perfectly capable of digging that information out for yourself if you choose to do so.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:50 am
@ebrown p,
I don't care.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:14 pm
@ehBeth,
A long time ago, either in 1990 or 1991, I went to an employment service and one of the tools I used was an analysis of self through the Myers-Briggs and the Jackson Interest Inventory. We took both tests and then returned for two more sessions to interpret and discuss the results in a small group setting.

At the time, the tester, who has a master's degree in psychology, gave a great deal of information about both tests, including that 75% of most Americans are extroverted.

She also said the Myers-Briggs was often used in marriage counseling.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:16 pm
@ebrown p,
Don't most people date without thinking critically?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 01:27 am
http://www.geekinheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/star_wars_mbti.png
DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 06:13 am
@hingehead,
It is your destiny.....
hingehead

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 06:53 am
@DrewDad,
So whom are you? I'm r2d2/Liam

50/50 on f&t
DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 07:56 am
@hingehead,
I'm a Palpatine....
hingehead

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 08:01 am
@DrewDad,
Jiminy, I don't even know what that means.