Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:03 pm
he'd be 100 this year. Frank Loesser wrote Guys and Dolls and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. As his widow told Scott Simon this past weekend, while you can always tell a Richard Rogers song, you can't tell a Frank Loesser song.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,866 • Replies: 6
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:58 pm
@plainoldme,
I didn't like Guys and Dolls so much after seeing it on DVD. Marlon Brando wasn't much of a singer.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:23 pm
I just had to find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlQXvrWC_A
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:20 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:41 pm
Thanks, Edgar. Personally, I am still recovering from Marlon Brando's singing. No wonder he never had a musical career.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:21 am
@talk72000,
Guys and Dolls isn't really a good movie, so it's not entirely fair to judge the Broadway musical on the basis of the film version. Marlon Brando was at the stage in his career where he was really hot and not very picky about the roles he would take. He had no business being in a musical. At least the film has Stubby Kaye in the role of Nicely-Nicely Johnson, a role he created on Broadway.

On the other hand, the movie version of How to Succeed in Business is actually pretty good.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:04 am
@joefromchicago,
I didn't see the film but I always loved Stubby Kaye. Someone once wrote an evaluation of Brando's career, saying that he spent as much time performing as a movie star (Napolean . . . and, obviously, Guys and Dolls) as he did as an actor (On the Waterfront).

That's what is sad about Hollywood. There are far too many gifted actors who break onto the screen only to become movie stars. Granted, we need entertainment and we need story telling as we no longer gather around turf fires in small villages, but, it would be nice if actors could remain actors and impress us with their gifts.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Frank Loesser
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:27:45