Happy 80th Birthday to Broadway Legend Stephen Sondheim

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:57 pm
Happy Birthday to the Legendary Giant of Musicals, Stephen Sondheim!
http://media.npr.org/assets/artslife/arts/2010/03/sondheim/sondheim.jpg?t=1269229963
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124907187

Dear reader:
What is your favorite Sondheim musical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,567 • Replies: 6
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
I had no idea Sondheim was that old, although I should have realized it. I saw Sundays in the Park with George as a PBS special starring Mandy Patimkin (or is it Patinkin?) and Bernadette Peters and loved it. I also saw Sweeney Todd as a PBS special with the wonderful George Hearn and the amazing Angela Lansbury and was even more enthused about it.

I also saw the amazing high school drama department of Newton North (Massachusetts) perform Into the Woods, a show I had wanted to see forever. It starred students with amazing voices. More than that, it was directed by another amazing student.

For someone who was a left-wing hippie in Detroit during the 1960s, I went to many Broadway plays, back in the day when the Fisher Theatre made the Motor City the second city in the US in terms of box office take. My girlfriends and I were always ready to dress up and go to the theatre.

Somehow I had no idea that he had written the lyrics for West Side Story. I never saw it on stage. Hated the film.

I would have to say Sweeney Todd is my fav.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:44 am
@plainoldme,
I like music. I like stories. I hate it when they make a story up where everybody's gotta burst into song every 2 minutes.
Do I have to turn in my metrosexual club card? I do carry a European Shoulder Bag, it the only thing that can fit my Brunton, my GPS, notebook , a small digital camera ,grease pencils,chisel, and a small bottle of Hydrochloric acid. AND, it looks great on me.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:21 am
@farmerman,
That's funny, fm! My youngest told me, when he was in high school, that he didn't get musicals at all. He said that he never wanted to walk into math class, slam his book down on the desk and burst into song. I think the two of you have something in common.

Funny, I was teaching Romeo and Juliet to "college prep II" students and the word fop is used in the play. The kids asked what a fop was so I said today, you would call a fop a metrosexual. They said, "Huh?"

You have to be hipper and artier than me. What is a Brunton and what is hydrochloric acid used for?

Postscript: I just can't imagine seeing a musical version of a Disney movie.
0 Replies

Mana89

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 08:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
On behalf of all of my friends and myself but particularly my closest friend who is completely obsessed with Sweeney Todd I wish you Stephen Sondheim a VERY MERRY AND HAPPY 80th BIRTHDAY!!!
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:26 am
@Mana89,
Youll be the first to wish him a happy 85th birthday next March
Mana89

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:26 am
@farmerman,
Probably...... Because my friend will ask me too.... Yeah.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Happy 80th Birthday to Broadway Legend Stephen Sondheim
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:33:07