Yes!!!!! "Obama orders hospital visit rights for gays, lesbians"

plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 08:35 pm
@jespah,
I wasn't certain who High Seas was addressing but I thought her tone snippy and nasty. To assume that someone is sulking because of something that she (High Seas) wrote is egotism.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:54 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Well Helen, I didn't graduate from any law school but I did graduate from the 6th grade and it just seems common sense for any hospital to acknowledge every patients right to designate whomever they choose to be their power of attorney/medical proxy Assuming they are adults and of relative sound mind. It just seems to me a matter of simple human rights.

The point here is a point of law - as the federal judge (mentioned in the link I posted) clearly stated when he threw out the lawsuit brought by a lesbian woman who couldn't visit her longtime companion in a hospital in Florida. And surely you know that only the legislature can change the law - not Obama.

These as simple, demonstrable, facts, are remain such no matter what ignorant Australian journalists or home-grown leftists choose to post or think. It's amazing to me that this subject - who the hell cares who can visit whom in a federal facility? - generates such heated, insulting, and (as here, though not in your case) risible responses. I'm just pointing out the FACTS to people who either don't know the law or choose to ignore it.

If the law is contrary to human rights - and since the US has definitely signed all related conventions - why, in your view, isn't anyone applying to the courts for the law to be repealed? The ACLU will do it for free, if you're interested, long as they think you have a case.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:00 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
...... It's like dys said, it's about basic human rights and decency. The law be hanged. I want the people I love with me when I'm ill and hurting. What I do with them, or which body parts I use for that or whether my parts match theirs are absolutely not the hospital's business....

You have mistaken me for someone who cares about who visits whom in federally funded facilities - and that includes prisons, hospitals, military installations etc, in case you've forgotten that part of the law as well. But if you care about visiting rights, same question as addressed to Dys also asked of you, why not petition the courts to change the law? Misleading foreign residents who have no reason to know US law doesn't help.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:56:08