Geo Caching

Seed

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:55 am
Anyone heard of this?
http://www.geocaching.com/

Seems like a very awesome and fun thing to do on a boring weekend or if you have spare time. I think I am going to get this going along with a friend of mine. Let me know if you guys try it out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 582 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:57 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Anyone heard of this?

Seems like a very awesome and fun thing to do on a boring weekend or if you have spare time. I think I am going to get this going along with a friend of mine. Let me know if you guys try it out!

I've done it, got some good books that way

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
how did you get the books? I was under the understanding that there was just a log to sign mostly?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:04 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

how did you get the books? I was under the understanding that there was just a log to sign mostly?

Lots of times there are actual items in the caches - I've gotten books, a watch, packets of flower seeds, once a letter.

I usually leave stuff for others to find as well.

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
ah well then, take a penny give a penny kind of thing. Way cool
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:12 pm
@Seed,
A friend of mine who posts here occasionally does a fair bit of geocaching. Her daughter's in England going to school for a year - she's been geocaching in England and in Ireland with her cousins. Their stories about it certainly make it sound like fun, and a challenge.
Seed

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I never heard about until a friend on facebook was posting cryptic (to me) post about it. Finally he linked me the site. Told me he hunted one down and had it in his hand but did not know he had it. (it was a hollowed out peach pit). Went back to the site and they told him it was the peach pit. He was very upset with himself. But he does at least one a day. It seems like a very fun hobby at least.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm
uggh, the metro was just the worst car, too small, kind of ugly, a real......uh......oh, this isn't the Geo trashing thread

nevermind
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
@Seed,
weve tried some geocaching as pqart of a field trip put together by some senior students in the geology, physics, and geography departments. It hasd been run like a car rally and instead of leaving or gathering crap, the kids would take pictures of the coordinates in order to prove that they wewre there.

There was a similar blip on hiking and exploration. It was fining X point s of principle lats and longs. eg 40.000 by 70.000 (lat long). SAeems that the original photo journals had been filled in but its still a great trip or hike (if youre near a principle coordinate location)
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
It's like a computer scaverger hunt, isn't it?

Our local historical society museum was a geo-cacheing location. It was a huge pudding stone. (Orchard Lake, MI)
Hope this was not a spoiler.
Seed

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
@sullyfish6,
I am not sure honestly. I have never done a computer scavenger hunt.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Anyone heard of this?

I did this a few times years ago. Nearly got eaten by mosquitoes and deer flies, but I found a few caches. It was fun for a while, but got boring once the novelty wore off.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Geo Caching
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:59:25