Apple and Newton

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:02 pm

I don't get "he was just in the same situation, as when formerly, the notion of gravitation came into his mind". Does it refer to that Newton himself was confused by the question about when the notion of gravitation came into his mind? So he was in the same situation as ours?

Context:
Among these manuscripts is William Stukeley's 1752 manuscript, Life of Newton. Stukeley was an archaeologist, freemason, learned gentleman and Newton’s biographer.

The page where he recounts the apple incident is here and you can look at the entire diary here.

The way Stukeley tells it is as follows:

After dinner, the weather being warm, we went into the garden and drank tea under the shade of some apple trees; only he and myself. Amidst other discourse, he told me, he was just in the same situation, as when formerly, the notion of gravitation came into his mind. Why should that apple always descend perpendicularly to the ground, thought he to himself; occasioned by the fall of an apple, as he sat in a contemplative mood. Why should it not go sideways or upwards? But constantly to the earth’s centre? Assuredly, the reason is, that the earth draws it…

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 358 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
@oristarA,
"he was just in the same situation" - the situation of sitting under an apple tree.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:09 pm
@oristarA,
This is a very convoluted sentence, but what it means is...

"Newton and I went to have tea under the shade of some apple trees. Newton told me that he was also having tea under the apple trees when the idea of gravity occured to him."

"he was just in the same situation, as when formerly, the notion of gravitation came into his mind" means that he was doing the same thing (drinking tea under apple trees) once before (formerly) when he thought of gravity.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Apple and Newton
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/10/2024 at 04:33:16