Is it really that easy?

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
So I watch a lot of tv and movies. I have been in a lot of fights and hit a lot of people in the head, been hit in the head a lot. Never has one hit knocked me or someone else out. Is it that easy? A small blow to the back of the head and you're out cold. Just doesn't seem that easy. Though i really don't want to be the subject of a test, nor do I think there will be people lining up b to be in an experiment. Just wondering.. is it really that easy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,174 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:19 pm
@Seed,
location, location, location...

Wink
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:20 pm
If you've seen it in movies and on tv, it must be true.

/s :@<
Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:21 pm
@Mame,
but I have never read it on the internet. And we all know that tv is some times fake, but the internet is always true.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
@Seed,
No, it's not easy. When you knock someone out it's called a concussion, and it's dangerous.

I always found it rediculously convenient that Hollywood could just turn people off like a lightswitch with a punch or a neck chop.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:55 pm
I have been dissapointed several times to find that my right hook to the jaw did not completely disable my opponent. One time the guy did hit the floor but got right back up. Another time the guy just looked at me as if I had slapped him with a piece of wet paper towel. (He was the one who threw me out the emergency door onto a very small fire escape.) I went over the railing but managed to hang on. Very Happy

Movie fights are not like real fights because nobody in the movies is drunk on their ass. In real life there is a lot more swinging and a lot less actual hitting.
Joe(at least from where I stand)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
When bad guys grab me, I just flex my arms and they fall to the side, completely subdued.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
I've never knocked someone out with a punch though I (like Joe) have knocked them down. I did knock someone out with a kick once, but to be fair he was already on the ground.

I have seen someone get knocked out with a single punch to the temple, back in middle school. The kid was woozy as hell for quite some time afterward.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
Yea I have had the same results in my fisticuffs as well. Never a single punch to win the fight. Though then again, if that had been the case, I probably would have stepped up much more then I did. Which would probably have resulted in me getting knocked down a lot more that I have.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
I havent had an exchange of blows since my teen years.
Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
then you should count yourself lucky my friend./
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@Seed,
Now, thanks to omsigdavid, I never will in the future.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:02 pm
A long time friend's father was a boxer in LA in the forties. He had the boxer syndrome thing in the mid or late sixties, and died a hard death, for him and for his family.

Years later she and I were walking down Main St. in Santa Monica, and Ali was going toward Napoleon bakery (I think they were aiming for it and I think we were too) with his wife or companion, and my friend saw him first and gasped. He kissed her hand. Wife and I watched. My friend said something, but it was short and I'm sure was about her joy at seeing him and didn't explain her own pain.

Seed, concussions add up to big serious.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:32 pm
I think my last brouhaha was about 30 years ago when I was about 30. There was a criticism of a refereeing judgement I had made on a very hot Sunday afternoon which resulted in a 1-0 loss result for a first place team. There was some bumping after the final whistle, followed by some pushing, a number of comments regarding the lineage of both my mother and me and.... a punch in the back which I found to be cowardly. I turned around to the jeers of his teammates.
The fellow was much bigger than me, but those were the days of yoga and long long runs in the sun. Even after 90 minutes of running I was still fresher and, I think because of the yoga, my reaction times were a lot faster than his.
His first three big swings were ducked easily and I managed to get him once in ribs.
He stopped.
I stayed in my pathetic little crouch wishing I had had a big sip of Gatorade.
His teammates were urging him on.
I said something to the effect that he and the whole team would never play another minute of league soccer if he didn't walk away.
He took a step up and a step back and then came with another roundhouse right.
I think I started to raise my left arm.
There was a lot of red in the sky and then a kind of blue flash.

I filed my report on Monday.
The team and all it's members were suspended for six weeks.
I don't remember the name of the jerk who punches people in the back.

You know how in the movies when someone gets knocked out but they feel and act just fine moments later?

Joe(for me, it was about the same six weeks)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
Quote:
The team and all it's members were suspended for six weeks.

seems pretty inadequate. I would have appealed looking for a lifetime ban.
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:09 pm
there is this kid in 4-h hes 13. he punched some kid in the back of the neck or head one of the 2 and nocked him out. he brook his fingers though. it was perty funny.
0 Replies

Anomie

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
Yes, it is a concussion.

However, there are practitioners that condition the central nervous system from experience, whilst have specific fitness, function and methodology for fighting.
0 Replies