Marvin Gaye

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:47 am
Watched American Masterpiece special on him last night; I'm playing his album today. Shot dead by his own father.

What a talented, tortured individual.

mercy, mercy me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 719 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
@sullyfish6,
Amen to that, brother. I loved Marvin Gaye's music and was interested in how he evolved musically and his creativity evolved.

His Dad was in torment, as well. They seemed to
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:24 am
@sullyfish6,
I heard it through the grapevine !

I love his music, and it will live on forever. RIP Marvin!

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
@sullyfish6,
(oops...truncated post..my fault)

They (his Dad and he) seemed to have a very strange relationship. In 1984, Marvin was fatally shot the night before his 45th birthday . His Dad (Marvin Sr.) shot him, 1984, while Marvin attempted to break up a fight (betw his Dad and Mom) over a lost business document . It was later revealed that Marvin and his Dad had been an early fist fight.

At some point perhaps during the murder trial, it was revealed that Marvin Sr. he had a brain tumor. Inconclusive how this may have affected his beahvior...but the resultant trial's legal outcome was manslaughter, as opposed to murder conviction.
Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:47 am
@Ragman,
Due to Marvin's independence and creative energy and spirit, he pushed back against the Motown's Pres. Berry Gordy rigid formulaic direction. He set the precedent for this creative tone and paved the way for independent giants Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 12:06 pm
As an aside, William Smokey Robinson (William!!) co-wrote with Gaye:
Ain't that Peculiar
I'l Be Doggone

Wish 'the Smoke" would get back to those kinds of sounds. I was disappointed with his most recent album.

Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@sullyfish6,
As is the case with many creative artists, they have difficulty writing those incredible masterpieces. Bob Dylan described Smokey as his favorite poet and writer back around early '70s (e.g. 'Tears of a Clown').
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
Marvin sang the best presentation of the National Anthem I've ever heard. If you haven't heard this before... enjoy...

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:25 pm
@rosborne979,
mighty good. Impeccable timing, phrasing and melodic accuracy. I miss the guy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Marvin Gaye
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:47:33