Is this as ironic as I think it is?

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:03 pm
The paper the other day noted that there is now a Twitter support group for ADHD.

And....

It is sponsored by a pharmacutical company that makes drugs to tread ADD.

I don't Twitter/Tweet/whatever but it seems to me that these short messages would be heaven for those suffering from ADHD/ADD.

But maybe I'm wrong and this is a good idea.

I'm hoping the Twitterati can help me understand.

Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,424 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
hmmm, sounds slightly enabling
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@boomerang,
maybe it is like speed dating
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
As an aside... My friends son was diagnosed border line ADD and his doctor refused to put him on meds, instead he recommended the mother put him on two pills of omega 3,6,9 a day. The boy has calmed down and is now able to concentrate in school. This is the first I've heard of it, but it may be something worth considering or at the very least investigating.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:13 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer... thanks for the laugh.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

The paper the other day noted that there is now a Twitter support group for ADHD.
And....
It is sponsored by a pharmacutical company that makes drugs to tread ADD.

What does sponsered by a pharmicuitical company actually mean? What does the sponsor actually contribute?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
Honestly, I'm an idiot about this stuff. I don't even know if it's ironic... or enabling. I've never even sent a text message. I have my husband and my mom programmed into my cell phone and I forget to turn that thing on.

I don't know what a "sponsor" is in charge of. Here's what the article said:

Quote:
Shire plc (LSE: SHP, Nasdaq: SHPGY), the global specialty biopharmaceutical company, announced the launch of its newest online Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) resource, the ADHD Support Twitter(TM) page (http://twitter.com/adhdsupport), derived from the Shire award-winning online educational resource, ADHDSupport.com.

The social networking service Twitter, estimated to reach approximately six million unique monthly visitors, will enable Shire to stay connected by sending tweets from the 'ADHD Support' Twitter page (http://twitter.com/adhdsupport) to its followers. The tweets highlight the online resource ADHDSupport.com and will contain links that provide easy access to information about the evaluation process and management of the disorder. Additionally, Shire may tweet about the latest ADHD research, tips, resources, and events of interest to the ADHD community. Guest tweeters, including physicians, psychologists, or coaches who specialize in ADHD, may also be featured from time to time.

"Extending our ADHD resources through Twitter is part of the ongoing commitment of Shire to provide education and support to ADHD patients and caregivers," says Michael Yasick, Senior Vice President of the ADHD Business Unit at Shire. "By providing access to information from ADHDSupport.com via Twitter, we are able to reach people who are looking for ADHD information in untraditional, yet increasingly popular places, like social networking sites."

More than 60 million US adults use social media applications for health care and medical purposes. In fact, 34 percent of consumers have accessed social media for health- and wellness-related information over the past 12 months.

"As an active participant in social networking, I know first-hand that people are eagerly seeking information about ADHD online, including on blogs, forums, and social media sites," said Michele Novotni, PhD, psychologist and consultant in the development of ADHDSupport.com. "ADHDSupport.com provides a resource for people who are impacted by ADHD, and tweeting information about the site, ADHD research, tips, resources, and events, is another way to provide information. Best of all, tweets are short and fast which is a real time saver on obtaining information on ADHD."

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
Oh! Husker! Wow!

So nice to "see" you again!
0 Replies