Everyone can do it. Why can't I ??

Piffka

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:49 pm
This reminds me of an otherwise very competent friend who couldn't shuffle cards. One evening we started playing cards. When it was his turn to deal, he pretended to shuffle the cards on his leg below the table and tried to hide not really shuffling them by making a sort-of shuffling "Brrrrrr-rrrrrrr" sound. He might have gotten away with it, but he was so goofy about it that we became suspicious. What a Goober!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 10:44 pm
Nice image, piffka, of your friend...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
Hi Osso! He's an architect and he really is very competent mechanically, knows how to sail yachts, fix boats, etc. I think he can even downhill ski. Very Happy He knows what he's doing... except at cards.

I have high hopes for Gautam.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:07 pm
Me too.

I have memories of looking at my swimming instructor in undivided awe, when she showed us how to do different swimming strokes. She glided in the water, covered vast territory with just a few well placed movements, it was like watching an eel.

Signed,
flibbertygibbet-in-water, mostly
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:33 pm
Well, eels are kind of creepy, I think, though I do admire someone who knows how to swim. I've always wanted to do the butterfly, but sheesh... that's hard!

You say you have a hard time with the sidestroke? Well, I have a miserable crawl stroke but I can do the sidestroke on either side which is, I must say, a mean feat. Very Happy I think I developed that so I wouldn't get sun in my eyes as I went back forth in the neighborhood pool. My very best, absolutely most-amazing swimming stroke is swimming feet first on my back. Gads, I am really, really good at that! In fact, if there were ever a contest for that, I think I might win. <silly grin :wink: >
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:24 am
This thread has been a real eye opener for me. Growing up on the coast of Oz, I think I can remember about 2 people from my 11 years of schooling who couldn't swim. And one of them was decidedly "not all there". My friends and family were all 'water babies'. We were almost raised in the stuff. Swimming was almost as natural as breathing.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:05 am
Super G!

Just found this - I'm sure you CAN swim, if you let yourself.

I'm a good swimmer - probably could have been in the school team if I hadn't spent so much time rowing.

My friend, M, used to be swimming captain at her university and tells me that it's much harder for adults to learn than children...because they are conscious of their fear and associations.

I don't want to be intentionally controvertial about this, but Indian friends of mine are also not good at swimming. I doubt there's any reason for that except (maybe) a cultural difference that does not emphasise the benefits/fun of swimming. Quite the opposite of Wilso's experience. So don't feel alone!

I can't skateboard! I'm fine at balancing with my body facing the direction of movement but sideways is not my thing - I bike, ski, rollerblade but have never really got to grips with surf/snow/skateboards!!!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
I think I shud find a good looking instructor who will promise to have sex with me if I manage to do a couple of laps without any assistance Twisted Evil

Talk abt inspiration Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Eels aren't creepy, they're quite tasty actually. Oh, and I can't dance to save my life.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:25 am
hmmm, unagi. gautam, i can't play tennis. for the devil. and i love it just the same - except nobody who has played with me previously is willing to go through the torture again. sigh. i hate snowboards also - i skied before i walked and think snowboarding is a waste of time. there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:38 am
i'll play tennis with you, dag. i expect we're probably pretty well matched.

the gf was an all-state tennis player in nj in high school, and early on she used to try to get me out on the court to hit with her. she hasn't tried in a long time now, though. i guess part of the fun is having the ball hit back to you...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 10:21 am
I finally gave up on playing squash. I was pretty decent at it - but I kept bashing myself. Somewhere along the line, someone was buggin' me about follow-through - so I follow through until the racket connects with my arm, just above the elbow. OWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I can't seem to disconnect the follow-through early enough. And I was good - I could switch the racquet from hand to hand and hit equally well. Dang!

maybe this is why my left elbow is so sad now Sad
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:03 pm
yeah, the rockets are wicked. but i'll play, patio, if you dare to. it involves a lot of running around, and usually a strained back also.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:57 am
Gautam, Grand Duke has it, lie on your back arms outstretched palms outwards, and with a GENTLE motion paddle slowly and evenly, you couldn't sink if you wanted to.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:01 pm
Ok,gautam. I'm gonna teach you to swim. First, you have to learn to float. Do that in the shallow end of the pool. so that you'll feel safe should it not work the first time. The dead man's float is when you float on your face. If you don't like your face in the water, then try floating on your back. Get someone to hold you up, to begin with. Whomever you choose will put his/her hands under your back or tummy and buoy you until you learn to relax. Once you feel comfortable about that, then go solo. Progress will be easy from that point. Doesn't matter how old you are, either. Let me know if this helps. I am a great swimmer and can dive also.

I CAN'T DO CROSS STITCH OR SEW WORTH A DAMN!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
A Mediterranean holiday is what you need - it is more salty and therefore you float more easily and are more buoyant. Learn in the warm clear sea and then try the pool?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
letty : PLEASE don't ask me to float - it would be a dead man's float, for sure ! as i wrote before, was kinda OLD before i learned how to swim. i just go for a morning swim now because it's fun and wakes me up. i don't care how slow i am , there is usually - but not always - someone slower than i am. just do it for the fun ! hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:05 pm
hamburger, Ever try a root beer float? Smile Water calls us...nothing is more delightful than the feel of the elements of lakes..rivers and cold mountain streams..earth, wind, fire and water...thinking of my first plunge.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:58 pm
letty : right you are ! particularly if you live in daytona beach ! ENVY !!! lake ontario is already on the COOL side . hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 08:28 pm
OK, I'll admit I could once do the crawl for a mile, and could float, but even then I couldn't tread water very comfortably, and most people seem to find it easy.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:36:52