Chromium Piccolinate and Weight Loss

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:29 am
All my life I have had problems controlling my weight. For the last couple of years, I had been taking chromium piccolinate, and am able to keep my weight at a reasonable, (if not ideal) level.

Over the last few months I had been going through a number of medical problems, surgeries and hospitalizations. Somehow, I ran out of chromium, and I noticed that my weight was creeping upwards.

I blamed it on the fact that because of the medical stuff, I was unable to exercise at my former levels, (walking 4 1/2 miles 3x weekly). Being a bit depressed about the medical problems, I also was indulging myself in a bit too much food.

Anyhow, about a couple of weeks ago, I bought myself a bottle of chromium of a higher dosage than usual. Every day since then, I find my weight becoming lower and lower. I have not changed anything else.

I have lost about 8 pounds in that time.

I have always been skeptical about claims for various supplements, although I must admit that I do indulge in a lot of them. (Hey, as long as the stuff does not do any harm, what the hell!)

Have any of you had a similar experience with chromium?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,664 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:32 am
I have not heard of this before. Sounds interesting.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:36 am
I've never used it, but as I approach the 50 mark I find my once capable metabolism becoming sluggish. I looked up the side effects and it's a bit of mixed bag with a lot science left to be done, but after tonight's dinner I might be tempted to give it a shot. I also would be interested in hearing other first hand stories.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
Howdoes it interact with other meds. Im interested . Of course I dont believe that it is all about the Cr++.
Somebody had given some tips about varying your food intake so that your body doesnt start to conserve itself over "starvation diets"

My exercise is high and I cannot seem to get rid of these pounds that Ive amassed over the last few years.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
Very interesting, Phoenix.
I will have to try that myself to see if it works with my sluggish metabolism,
due to hypothyroid conditions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:55 am
@Phoenix32890,
I tried it about a decade ago, and it didn't help a bit. Not to say it is without value for everyone, but I saw no benefit.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:28 am
@roger,
It might be like some herbal remedies. It can depend on an individuals chemistry as to how effective it is. In some cases it might be useless or even harmful. For others it's a cure.
dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:24 pm
http://www.personalhealthzone.com/vitamins_supplements/chromium_side_effects.html

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/chromiumsideeff.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0066b.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:50 pm
@Green Witch,
Very true. Any herbal or prescription that were effective for 80% of the people taking it would be the new wonder drug. Vitamin C is a miracle drug - for people with scurvy. None of them are going to be effective if you don't have the right condition for whatever you are taking.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:03 am
It's funny. I have heard that echinacea and zinc don't do much for colds. When I think I am getting a cold, I take both a zinc and echancia tablet, and swab my nose with a zinc swab. After about a half hour, the cold symptoms abate.So how come???
roger

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
I'm a firm believer in zinc lozgenges, vitamin c not so much, and echinacea not at all. Again, that's just me. I only swab my nose when colds are going around, and the nose is really dry. Then, I use Bag Balm. It may not do anything, but it's better than dry nostrils.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:25 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

It's funny. I have heard that echinacea and zinc don't do much for colds. When I think I am getting a cold, I take both a zinc and echancia tablet, and swab my nose with a zinc swab. After about a half hour, the cold symptoms abate.So how come???

beta glucan. the new immune boosting wonder supplement. I swear by it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:26 am
I have found over the years the only thing that works for me i.e. weight loss and control is dedication to the gym and my diet.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
Just bear in mind that the trace minerals like chromium become toxic when the dietary requirement is significantly exceeded.
roger

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
Too bad we don't know what is already in our diets before taking this stuff, isn't it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
I try (more or less) to eat well. I can't afford the pills that might rescue me in some way. Last one I was interested in was Pycnogenol, and that one set me back financially. As it happens, I'm a scalywag at pill taking. I'll take the drops or major pills prescribed by mds, given they seem to work, but I can't even get going on the routine glucosamine chondritin stuff, which some friends swear by. My rheumatologist-internist told me they help about 10%.

As an ex scientific type person, I'm chary re pulses of this or that chemical compound, though I can see some indicators for use of those once in a while, given data.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Plus, I've met you, Phoenix. You're nice and shapely and are not in some kind of wonder zone, that I can tell.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Chromium Piccolinate and Weight Loss
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:34:22