Need your suggestion about English name

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:28 am
Has anyone else noticed that names of the characters in movies are names that are popular now but weren't popular when the character would have been born?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:31 am
Oh Jesus . . . next thing ya know, DD is gonna want cowboys to only be able to fire a six-shooter six times before they hafta reload . . .
DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:32 am
I do wish that names that can't be read phonetically would get printed with pronunciation guides. This is not limited to Chinese names; I would have completely muffed Blagojevich's name. Embarrassed
DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:33 am
@Setanta,
Everyone knows that six shooters could only be fired five times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
@DrewDad,
You know, formerly names in Chinese were rendered in the Wade-Giles system, which, although not perfect, at least had the virtue of using a system of pronunciation recognizable to most speaker so European languages. The current pronunciation system in use, Pinyin, was created by a committee in the PRC in the 1950s. I leave it to judge for yourself the value of Pinyin, keeping in mind that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Japanese names are just as easy as pie--they are phonetically spelled from an English speaker's point of view. Commodore Perry forced the Meiji Japanese to open their ports to foreign shipping in 1853, and in a fit of pique, they went to the English for their expertise in joining the modern world--they still drive on the left, silly buggers. They "romanized" their language based on English as they learned it from the English.

So, the great Japanese dynast from the late 16th and early 17th century, Tokugawa Ieyasu has his named pronounced just exactly as an English speaker would say it, looking at those words: "Toe-koo-gah-wah Ee-ay-yah-soo." Maybe that's why i prefer Japanese history to Chinese history--i find it easier to read.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@joefromchicago,
Interesting, thanks.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:50 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I have a Chinese friend who has a Chinese name and an English name and she goes back and forth all the time (like, I'll get an email that is from her Chinese name and she'll sign it with her English name). I never know what to call her (the Chinese name isn't that hard to pronounce), I just follow her cues in going back and forth.

I knew some Chinese and Japanese immigrants in the US who used to do that. Some did it because they thought it was fun, or liked Westernization, but most did it just because they were sick of repeating their foreign names to Americans.

For example, one Japanese girl I knew, who is actually an a2k member as well, is named Mutsumi, but at Starbucks she started going by "Mika" just because they always did a double take. It isn't a particularly hard name to pronounce, to me at least, but the Starbucks folk found it a lot easier.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:25 am
Shengyi in Chinese it refers to "determination to win", and "Changqing" "longevity like a green pine tree ".

I hope that you suggest some E names according to the meaning I have pointed out as above.

What I am worrying is that the collocation of the first name and famility name is not perfect. Like:

What word (first name) to make a good collocation with Tony? And what word with Lynn?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:19 am
"Determination to Win"="Victor"
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:23 am
"Longevity like a green pine tree", stretching a bit, "Forrest", like "Forrest Gump" the movie or Forrest Sawyer the newsman. Granted, it's not a really common name and the spelling is a bit different.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:30 am
This is probably even more of a stretch, but it does tie together a couple things: "Longevity like a green pine tree"= "Sequoia" which are the Coast Redwoods of California, among the world's oldest living trees, several thousand years old, and also the name of a Cherokee Indian, who invented a complete syllabary for writing Cherokee, and turned his entire tribe literate in about ten years, a remarkable achievement. It's an actual name, an American one, tho not one used much in English names.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:35 am
@MontereyJack,
Well, do you think both Victor Tony and Forrest Lynn are good names with proper collocation?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:38 am
And, I simply don't like Forrest Gump very much. He's somehow an idiot. Money is not anything, after all.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:26 am
The Lovely Bride was born in Hong Kong (New Territories) and came to the
US at the age of ten. She and her brothers and sisters all had both Chinese
and English names. Her mother picked two of the girls' names from
members of the British royal family and one from the heroine of a popular
movie. The boys' names were picked just on what sounded good at the time.

In the US, she used her English name at school and in any context where
non-Chinese were present. As she grew older, she preferred the use of her
Chinese name. That is the name I use for her.

Our three children each have first names of Celtic origin and Chinese
middle names (picked from suggestions by my father-in-law).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:01 am
I'd go with Chinese last (family names) and English first names, if you're going to do it--people are pretty much used to that format. Victor Teng, Forrest Lin (or Lynn, either one, we'd just pronounce them the same anyway.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
Forrest Gump was pretty slow, true. It's possible that that the movie would be on people's minds with that name, it was a very popular movie. I'm not sure what people might read into it--would they think of Forrest Sawyer rather than Gump? But it is kind of a nice name.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 04:25:39