Lefthanded people rule

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 03:04 am
@Aa,
hey...Aa and Beth and and Merry and such...I no longer have your emails because they are on my old computer and I am too lazy to go and get them.

Be great if someone could sens me a group email.

And good to see you here, Aa!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:48 am
@Aa,
I was going to ask "is this THE Aa?" but this post kinda rendered the question moot.

Good to see ya!
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:17 am
There are certain situations where lefthandedness can complicate things, even apart from lefthanded sports equipment such as catchers' mitts. A very sociable giver of dinner parties used to think very carefully in deciding where to seat a lefthanded person at table. A guitar teacher of mine expressed dismay at how difficult it was to reverse the guitar and teach a lefthanded student. One underlying issue is that there is tension in whether individuals adapt to dominant society, or contrariwise.

ossobucco & margo, respectively -- Hooray & g'day right back at ya, and I will add a Good Earthturn to all!

Gala

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:15 am
@Aa,
We adapt.

But, after reading your post I'm now feeling like a scourge on polite society. I never considered the toll it would take on my gracious hosts when inviting me to dine.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:23 am
yeah, I always try to sit at the lefthand end of a table when possible--avoids elbow bumping or having to keep your arm so close to your side it's hard to get the fork to your mouth.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm
An unrecognized discriminated minoity

I went to a large university that was in love with one armed desks, strike that "right armed desks." With almost 30,000 at the main campus I never found a left armed desk.

Right / Left Tools--Sissors/Tin Snips, Watches with the stem on the other side (most lefties wear their watch on the right arm), fishing reels, spiral notebooks (I was in constant trouble in grade school for turning my spiral notebook upside down), those silly pens at the bank that are constantly n the wrong side--the same is true for the electronic signature pads.

Finally Right Turn on Red---where's the Left Turn on Red, Asshole?

In my humble opinion Lefties need organization. Lefties Unite! Demand a lefties commerization month, a lefties march on Washington, A left out strike!

Rap
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:41 pm
If you could left turn on red, you'd be cutting across oncoming traffic, which is exactly what the red-green lights are designed to prevent. When you right turn on red, you're not cutting across oncoming traffic. If we drove on the left, we'd have left turn on red, and right turns would be prohibited, for the same reason.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@raprap,
Demand a lefties commerization month

I would dearly love to know what a 'commerizaton' entails.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 04:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

If you could left turn on red, you'd be cutting across oncoming traffic, which is exactly what the red-green lights are designed to prevent. When you right turn on red, you're not cutting across oncoming traffic. If we drove on the left, we'd have left turn on red, and right turns would be prohibited, for the same reason.

Yep.

We drive on the proper side here, and that is so.
Aa

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:50 pm
Even the English language itself serves to discriminate against lefthandedness, in being written from left to right. We shouldn't blame southpaws for being ink-stained wretches with lines of ink-besmeared words. This could easily be remedied, though, if we switched to another language - say, Hebrew, written from right to left, ideal for lefties. (I observed all this in calligraphy classes, where we wrote with real, wet ink.)

Welcome, dlowan - good to see another antipodean (you and margo) on site.

sozobe, in all humility I can't claim to be THE Aa - that implies a uniqueness that I can't claim - but definitely I am AN Aa, one of unnumbered others who might exist in the world.

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:44 am
@Aa,
Quote:
Even the English language itself serves to discriminate against lefthandedness, in being written from left to right. We shouldn't blame southpaws for being ink-stained wretches with lines of ink-besmeared words. This could easily be remedied, though, if we switched to another language - say, Hebrew, written from right to left, ideal for lefties. (I observed all this in calligraphy classes, where we wrote with real, wet ink.)

Being left-handed has never felt like a negative thing. Even with some of the minor challenges. Sure, we might need a little bit of training if we decide to go to Muslim country, I've read they also have a taboo about using your left hand when handling money as well, nonetheless, it doesn't seem like discrimination.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:36 pm
@dlowan,
;-)
0 Replies