Who's Got a Holiday Birthday?

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:33 am
With the ensuing holiday season, my birthday is once again upon me.

Having been dragged into this world on the 24th of December, I am always curious how others that have birthdays on or near holidays feel about the situation.

I always enjoyed the uniqueness of the timing of my birthday for several reasons.

1. I have nothing to compare it to. Although, family and friends have threatened to have a "half-birthday". Thankfully I have been spared this uprooting of tradition.

2. When you are a kid and your birthday is near Christmas, when the family gets together you have carte blanche to remind them of that fact.
Much better than say a time when family doesn't get together.
Then they can get away with just a card.

3. First me, then Jesus.

How do you or those you know feel about "Holiday Birthdays"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,616 • Replies: 22
No top replies

JoanDark

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:13 am
Hi MD!
I do! I do! November 26 has a nasty habit of often falling on Thanksgiving.
My mother, when I was a child, used to hold the family Thanksgiving shindig, a Thanksgiving/Joannie's birthday thing. The house was filled with Crysanthemums, smelled heavenly, between that and the turkey.I was happy
When I became an adult--not so much fun. Ya wanna make a huge dinner party on your birthday? But my daughters always came through, with awesome chocolate cakes, along WITH the usual! Very Happy

My eldest daughter is on December 18-exactly a week before Christmas. So she is (a Christmas) Carol. All our family was always very kindly and careful not to give the old razzmatazz"This can be for BOTH!"
Although it IS hard to buy 2 spectacular presents that close together.<sigh>-a mother's lot.....She is definately worth it!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:02 pm
My Rae is Dec. 22nd!

I've always heard people say Holiday Birthday people are cheated because people tend to combine Xmas and Birthday gifts. I try not to do that to her and always make her special day as special as she is. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:03 pm
My daughter's birthday was January 5th. Poor thing by the time the 5th rolled around everyone was partied out.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:18 pm
Hi Misti!! Yes. It's pretty awful to tell a kid "You can have one present for both, because your birthday is so near Christmas." Other kids get a present for each! Yes. making their day as special as they are is what it is! Very Happy
Hi JD! I bet everyone was revived by January 5. Cool
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
We did our level best to revive them. One special thing I did for her was every year I took her birthday off from work and kept her out of school and we did something special. One outstanding birthday event was in January 1977, we had just moved to D.C. from San Diego and of course it snowed on January 5th. So we trekked to the District via Metro to see the King Tut show at the NGA. It was great no lines and hardly any other people. Just the two of us amidst all that treasure.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:13 pm
Mom's right ~ I've never felt cheated having my birthday so close to Christmas. Since my due date was in January, I consider myself an early gift to my parents every year. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:52 pm
Hi Joan Dark! I'm so happy to see you here! I've missed you!

Rae, every day is a gift with you in it:) Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:54 pm
Awwwww man.....I feel another hug coming on.....

((((((((((HUG))))))))))

Ditto, Mom. Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:16 pm
hey! I'm a dec 23rd baby. We've got a line up going!

My family was pretty goo dabout keeping things seperate, right down to the wrapping paper. But, the rest of the world didn't comply so well. Lots of xmas parties on my bday. I recently dated a guy whos bday was dec 31st.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
Happy to say that I've never had a single birthday gift wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper..... Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:20 pm
<grin>

I can't say that.....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:23 pm
(((((HUGS)))))

Sorry, littlek.....I promise I would never wrap a birthday gift to you in anything but birthday wrap..... Laughing
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:07 pm
I have a nephew who was born on Dec. 24th. The best thing about the date was that it made 'entertainment' for his birthday parties easy -- Santa always came to visit.

My kids are both lucky enough to have been born mid-year which was particularly good when they were really little tots. 6 months makes a big difference in what little ones are capable of doing and in what they want to be doing -- so the presents could become 'older' along with them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:17 pm
Rae - thanks, man {{{{hug}}}} back atcha.

Good point about age and present-giving, Bandylu!
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:25 am
Thanks, Misti! Great to see you too!! And Rae is your daughter? That must be SO MUCH FUN for you guys!!
Good on ya! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:28 am
Hiya JD!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:01 am
Hi JD ~ so glad you're here! Mom's been braggin about you for ages now! Welcome! Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 05:53 pm
Hi Li'L Sock Diva! How've you been?
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 05:54 pm
Great meetin' ya, Rae!!This will be double-enchanting now!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who's Got a Holiday Birthday?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 11:59:10