I am beginning to think my degree is useless.

Katie20

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:23 am
Before I begin, Hello to all.

I am not quite sure what kind of answers that I am looking for in all honesty but I guess it helps in a way sharing it. I am currently studying a design degree at a well known, Art College in Central London. The competition on entering was very fierce, and with all my dedication and hard work I managed to gain a place. Before moving to London it was everything that I wanted to do, and I could not have imagined myself doing anything different.

Since starting my degree I have found it increasingly difficult. The techincal knowledge required along with the poor quality of lecturers (outlined by quite a few people in my year) has resulted in a complete lack of interest and motivation, which I am trying so hard to over come for the sake of not wanting to give up. The public criticism recieved from the tutors, and general poor attitude on their behalf has left me feeling so depressed.
(Apologies for sounding so negative)

This resulted in me taking a partial year out half way through year two, mainly to decide what I was going to do about the situation. I decided that it wasn't something that I was ready to give up on, and I embarked on various design short courses to try and improve my limited techinical skills, and gain more confidence. I am still completing courses now, and trying to convince myself that when I go back, it will be OK. But, it isn't working. I am due to resume my studies in January and I am unbelievably apprehensive.

I feel I have improved my technical ability, whilst I have taken the time out, and my confidence has increased, although I am so worried about returning. Being with a diferent year group, the same horrible tutors, and the same degree is making me depressed, resulting in my feeling exactly the same as when I left.

I feel like I have absolutely no interest left in my degree at all. It also does not have a direct career path at the end of it, so it isnt even as if I can look forward to an outcome it will provide. I have NO idea about what I want to do when I finish, and just how I am going to be able to pass this degree to an acceptable standard with my current attitude and limited support from tutors. No matter how much I try to talk myself into enjoying it, it doesn't happen.

Having such an uncertainty is making me feel quite low, and I am the type of person that needs goals to work towards. Is there anybody in the same situation, or has been in the same situation that would have any advice at all? I know my situation isn't going to be solved in one answer but it would be nice to hear from anybody.

Thankyou

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,051 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@Katie20,
Hi Katie - Welcome to A2K

Try thinking about how you might get on if you don't go back to your studies. You say you have no interest in completing your degree so how might you use the skills you've already learned? It's tough to make your way in the arts but it's not impossible. What can you see yourself doing that would put a smile on your face and a few pounds in your pocket?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
Wow. I could have written this 20 years ago.

I enrolled at a very well respected art school here in America and hated every minute of it. I felt the same way you do now. I hated it. It was really depressing. All of the teachers were hoity-toity and most of the students were snobs; they all seemed to think that venturing any kind of complement or encouragement to anyone else somehow made their own work less valid.

I transferred out to a much less famous art school, more of a technical arts school (which isn't the right term as it was a school of "fine arts" that focused more on the mechanics of creating). I loved it there. I learned gobs.

I ended up working in the field for most of my professional life in a variety of ways.

Seriously, look around at other types of art schools.

Good luck!
Gala

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:57 am
@Katie20,
If you're that unhappy, which seems completly legitimate, then, have you thought about what you want to study in college?

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:07 pm
@Katie20,
I think boomerang has a great suggestion. While I didn't go through what you're dealing with, I did experience the big-named art school (which didn't annoy me as much as you and boomer) vs. the not-so-big named art school scenario as well. While the well-known school will look great on your resume and may open doors for you simply because you are degreed from there, perhaps that isn't as important as happily getting your degree from a smaller school and wowing potential employers or clients with a great portfolio/website.

Graduating from a smaller school was never a detriment for me. And it won't be for you either because when it comes down to it, talent is the key. Talent and who you know.
Gala

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:07 pm
@boomerang,
I went to a snot-oid art school but was too dense to realize what a bunch of pretentious turds they were. No, wait, I knew they were snobs, but it didn't ever, ever dawn on me to transfer.

Years later, I took my portfolio to a graphic designer who told me that the art school he went to was more like a family, very nurturing-- who knew! It never dawned on me an art school could be anything but competitive and kind of vicious. Then again, all this took place on the East coast.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:09 pm
@eoe,
Exactly, it's way better to be happy vs. worrying about the name recognition of the school and not liking it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:32 pm
@Katie20,
I wish I could offer some positive anecdotal evidence born from my own experience.
A degree is useless if not neglected by oneself as well as perceived useless by the general collective of employers. I have had a BA in History from a medium sized public CUNY school of Baruch College since 2008. I haven't done anything with it (occupationally wise) and am now doubting the practicality of its deemed worth.

Boomerang's advice seems to be the most practical and emotionally reasonable mentioned yet. That of considering a transfer to another school with a more suitable atmosphere and a curriculum set that may inspire your academic studies a bit more.

Let me ask you if you don't mind what do you plan to actually do with your art degree after you obtain it?

I'm not sure what my point is ... other then do you have an after degree plan? Further study (graduate school); internships; straight into a career; etc....?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@Katie20,
I can't tell from your text, Katie, just how critical the teachers are of the students in general or you in particular, so I need to know more before agreeing completely with you. I have a degree I don't use now from a university in bacteriology, though I don't regret all I learned there. Back then there was no tuition, so the school years for me were not so expensive except that I wasn't out earning money all those hours, though I did work, just at fairly low pay.

Since then I took many courses in studio art (can't remember, say thirty) in a university extension and four years of courses in landscape architecture, which is primarily a design field. All of the art and design courses were at night while I worked during the day. Most of what I learned in those courses was useful later for me as a painter and a landscape architect. Both the studio art classes and the design classes had a culture of critical review of the students' work, fully public, more so in the design courses. We learned to stand up there and take it from fellow students and from the teacher. That turned out to be a good foundation for presenting plans to feisty community board meetings in my later career. One learns to defend one's point of view and also to listen to what may be useful comments.

However, I don't remember those baths of sometimes negative criticism that we all got to some extent in my school years as being really mean spirited - usually straightforward and non sugar coated, but not vicious. Thus my question on how you have experienced the criticism you have gotten.

I also think Boomerang's solution could be a good choice for you... unless you would be sensitive to crits in a less acid type school atmosphere too.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I should modify my comment -
In my years of design classes they taught us from the very beginning to stand up and show our work and explain it, including defense. Less so in the art studio classes, that being more personal with the teacher and the student, although those nearby could hear the teacher's comments and the studen'ts. I didn't major in art at the university level so I don't personally know, but I tend to assume the degree professors (some who also taught in my extension courses) tried to develop the students' comfort level with criticisms pro or con.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 05:45 pm
Another option is to stick it out and try to glean something from these teachers at this prestigious school. After all, they are there for some reason.
Think of what a degree from this particualr school will be worth in the job market.

If it's not that much, then transfer.

Although I'm not one for feel-good education.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I am beginning to think my degree is useless.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:25:37